theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking the B4s out for a test drive
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheJT
A
A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Taking the B4s out for a test drive Reply with quote

Sytner lent me the B4s demo car (as seen in all the press coverage/Joe Achilles video etc.) yesterday.

Had great fun taking it around the Cotswolds and comparing it to my D5 BT (am starting to mull the idea of dropping down a size).

I'm not remotely qualified to say anything especially technical about it, but impressions were very positive (inevitably). On the motorway, the D5 - perhaps unsurprisingly - has the edge. Effortless power at all times and all speeds, quieter and of course more spacious and comfortable on long drives, especially as I'm a taller driver!

On the glorious country roads (which were thankfully dry and quiet) however, the B4s is a joy. Handles beautifully once you get used to what for me felt like quite light steering and all the power to come out of corners makes it great fun given the grip which lets it float round bends at speed. Had to overtake a couple of large agricultural vehicles and the stomach compressing acceleration is quite something. No-one needs telling that this car is quick.

My preferred setup was definitely Comfort mode and Sports gearing. The suspension set up in Sport mode was too firm for UK roads: on some potholed roads around Oxford the D5 soaks up everything, but on the same roads, the B4 was positively bone-shaking. Suspect on the continent I'd be fine. On the D5 I generally stick to normal Drive gearing, using Sport only for fast country roads or proper hilly terrain (or the occasional quick getaway at a junction!), but I do use Sport mode off motorway and don't find it a problem in terms of suspension. In the B4, Sport gearing was much better in all conditions other than motorway and heavy traffic/towns.

Only other thing I found strange was having an old-fashioned handbrake! Wink

2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Sophisto Grey & Oyster/Black
Wave if you see me
nkotecha
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the drivin assistance plus like
TheJT
A
A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This car didn't come with that option (at least not as far as I was aware!). Full spec of this particular vehicle is here: http://www.sytner.co.uk/car-search/7738557-alpina-alpina-b4-s-3-0-440-bi-turbo-2dr-switch-tronic/
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me
nkotecha
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the rader cruise control
TheJT
A
A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, well, I didn't use it - M40 was a bit too busy for cruise control yesterday
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me
nkotecha
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this cruise control brakes and speeds up for you. Designed for traffic
rodbargee
A
A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Thanks for posting.
pete
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nice one!!! Can you put the car into sport without the steering wheel changing to that stiff heavy feel that happens on my 64 plate 330d? Thanks
TheJT
A
A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I noticed the steering changing particularly in Sport, maybe tightened up a bit, but was nothing that jarred. To be honest, the suspension was so different that i was more conscious of that than anything else.[/quote]
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me
Dunc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a D4, same engine/gearbox as the D5 in the lighter bodyshell. It works well on the motorway, nice and quiet but really handles the twisty stuff well. I am on my second one which is the LCI, the main change is they have given the steering a bit more feel but it is still light in comfort. LCD is definitely required and is an option.
TheJT
A
A

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting thought - thanks, don't think I'd twigged it was the same engine as the D5.
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me
Bieldside

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: B4 Reply with quote

So ... would you pay 67k for it ?
TheJT
A
A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed the 67,000 question! I drove it because I'm interested in the B3s (need/want the extra doors for ease of child access!) though I do like the look of the 4.

It is a pretty special car - i think you can make a case for it being fairly priced (the one I drove was fairly well loaded with extras though), but it's undoubtedly a lot of cash - as all the petrol Alpinas are these days. Depends what price you put on having a smile on your face as you drive around I guess.
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me
Avtar
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking the B4s out for a test drive Reply with quote

TheJT wrote:
Sytner lent me the B4s demo car (as seen in all the press coverage/Joe Achilles video etc.) yesterday.

Had great fun taking it around the Cotswolds and comparing it to my D5 BT (am starting to mull the idea of dropping down a size).

I'm not remotely qualified to say anything especially technical about it, but impressions were very positive (inevitably). On the motorway, the D5 - perhaps unsurprisingly - has the edge. Effortless power at all times and all speeds, quieter and of course more spacious and comfortable on long drives, especially as I'm a taller driver!

On the glorious country roads (which were thankfully dry and quiet) however, the B4s is a joy. Handles beautifully once you get used to what for me felt like quite light steering and all the power to come out of corners makes it great fun given the grip which lets it float round bends at speed. Had to overtake a couple of large agricultural vehicles and the stomach compressing acceleration is quite something. No-one needs telling that this car is quick.

My preferred setup was definitely Comfort mode and Sports gearing. The suspension set up in Sport mode was too firm for UK roads: on some potholed roads around Oxford the D5 soaks up everything, but on the same roads, the B4 was positively bone-shaking. Suspect on the continent I'd be fine. On the D5 I generally stick to normal Drive gearing, using Sport only for fast country roads or proper hilly terrain (or the occasional quick getaway at a junction!), but I do use Sport mode off motorway and don't find it a problem in terms of suspension. In the B4, Sport gearing was much better in all conditions other than motorway and heavy traffic/towns.

Only other thing I found strange was having an old-fashioned handbrake! Wink

Do you have the comfort mode with sport gearing on your D5, I have not tried that?
E46 330ci Convertible
TheJT
A
A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have the comfort mode with sport gearing on your D5, I have not tried that?

Yes - flip the gearlever over to Sport but keep the car in Comfort. Very useful at roundabouts for an extra bit of zip! Also use it when driving in the Alps - gives you engine braking when going down steep hills without needing to bother with manual gear changes (which I confess I more or less never use)
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: