theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E39 touring bootlid/glass struts DIY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA - Car Advice / Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rc944
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: E39 touring bootlid/glass struts DIY Reply with quote

Ok so make no mistake this job is horrible. however, with some patience and a lot of luck it can be done!

the best vid i saw was on you tube of some american folks that had cut away the roof to show the technique in action. follow it religiously and you will achieve great things

the trickiest part for me was actually re-fitting the hinge clips...

whilst i was there i fixed the loom serving te high level brakelight as it was not working. one of the wires had severed so i jointed it and heatshrank it and then wrapped the whole lot in tesa fabric tape

best place to buy the parts is atp - berlin based motor factors selling through ebay. a set of the correct spec and model stabilus dampers (oe supplier to bmw) is less than 90 inc shipping. much much more if you go the bmw route.

other than a set of pry bars you wont need much else.

on removing the old parts both the sprung dampers for the tailgate had snapped. the struts for the glass were serviceable but i didnt want to be doing a repeat procedure!
E39 525i Sport Touring (sold)
E46 330i Sport Touring (sold)
Porsche 964, 968 CS, 944 S2 (sold)
VW Mk4 R32 (sold)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA - Car Advice / Information All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: