Buying advice on E46 B3/S

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

CharlesM
ALP
ALP

Buying advice on E46 B3/S

Post by CharlesM » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:43 pm

After looking at that B5 last week and driving an E90 330D SE (not a fan of the ride or refinement) I've decided I need another Alpina in my life, but straight six and not particularly large as much of my driving is rural roads where a compact car considerably aids overtaking.

Anything in particular I should look out for on a B3. I've had two B10s so cooling and handling instantly spring to mind, but both have been manuals, so anything transmission related to check.

Thanks!

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 pm

rust sadly can be an issue now, rear sills around the jacking points.

They're all auto, they love to leak oil and they get through the alpina torque converters by 90,000 miles

B3S suffers the odd headgasket. Snapped rear springs, window regulators, beasts destroying alpina interiors! All the usual E46 stuff, so worn out cooling systems also like e39s!

CharlesM
ALP
ALP

Post by CharlesM » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Not greatly different from an E39 then (I was lucky in not having any rust at all - but I've had 90s Benzes and they take rust to new heights or depths).

Can the torque converter be refurbed?

rc944
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rc944 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:56 pm

ive had mine for about 4 years and its great

none of what simon describes above has happened as yet and mines on 78k but if/when they do happen they wont come as a surprise

TCs can be refurbed but they were modified ZF units

rust on the underside of the front wings will always be an issue with the e46 unless the arch liners have been removed routinely

im days away from replacing both control arms as a balljoint has gone but these things are so easy to work on its no biggie

im in the chalfonts but cant say im getting the chance much to overtake on rural lanes

if you are local want to pop over to have a poke around then im sure we can arrange something
Porsche 997.1 GT3 CS I Alpina E46 B3s Coupe I Alpina E46 B3 3.3 Touring I Ducati 749S Mono I Ducati 748R I Ducati 749 Track Bike I Ducati 916S

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:42 am

Dampers are generally done by 80k also. RC944, your just coming into big bills territory. Don't worry the bills won't miss you out!

CharlesM
ALP
ALP

Post by CharlesM » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 am

Most of my fun driving is in the Cotswolds where there is much pleasure to be gained from lower traffic frequency and roads that reward a fast overtake.

By the sounds of it all are particularly straightforward and to be expected on a car of this age. Reading around I see the TC is available direct from ZF at far better prices than from the UK stealers. Shocks never bother me, the point of these glorious cars is the spectacular damping, so I would expect to replace anyway. I have an excellent bodyshop (reasonable too) so if the rust appears I have no qualms about getting it sorted.

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:01 am

There is the mora one up for sale top end price but lovely
Plenty of cabriolets available

CharlesM
ALP
ALP

Post by CharlesM » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:12 am

That's a lovely thing, but all the value uplift is in the low miles, and I intend to drive mine.

I shall work my way through the list of cars around, but there are a lot of high milers out there at somewhat ambitious prices.

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:45 am

There's a good priced cab early model that might be of interest to you
Gearbox has been refurbed in a rare Avus blue

CharlesM
ALP
ALP

Post by CharlesM » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Clocked it, it's on the list to look at. I wouldn't want to be selling a convertible in this weather though, I'm beginning to think a DKW would be a better idea!

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:03 pm

CharlesM wrote:I shall work my way through the list of cars around, but there are a lot of high milers out there at somewhat ambitious prices.
Be careful - depending on the variant you are looking for, price reflects rarity and maintenance rather than mileage.

The Tourings are such rare beasts, mileage is not a factor in the market at the moment, whereas the saloons are probably most mileage-sensitive.

Typically, for well looked after cars, you should expect prices as follows for the B3S:
Saloon - £8,500
Coupe/Cabriolet - £10,000
Touring - £12,500

For the B3 3.3, prices are currently in the following region:
Saloon - £6,500
Coupe/Cabriolet - £8,000
Touring - £10,000

As for things to look for, having covered almost 302k miles in my B3S Touring, I've seen most things by now! As mentioned, typical B3S items (over and above normal E46 issues) are as follows:

Head gasket: every 80-100k miles
TC: every 80-100k miles
OEM shocks: 90-100k miles
Gearbox: Friction surfaces after 150k miles

Finally, I see you are based in South Bucks so, unless you already have a preferred indie to work on the car, you might consider CPC in Amersham. What Phil doesn't know about the B3S isn't worth worrying about.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

CharlesM
ALP
ALP

Post by CharlesM » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks Charles, that's very helpful. My comment about high milers is shorthand for cars put up with high miles at a price that is not justified by the maintenance history. Dealers often haven't a clue what they are selling and look at you quizzically when you ask about such things as shocks and bushes and types of tyres (my rule, if not Michelin PS tyres, be it 2,3, PSS or 4 then I budget to replace them - even if new!). My 2 B10s were transformed by PS2 and PS3.

I asked (and paid) Phil at CPC to do a report on my first B10. After a month of chasing him for it, I gave up and went elsewhere, and got the necessary work done promptly by an ex BMW master tech from North Oxford who'd worked on a number of them before and who worked for a friend at his classic car business.

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 pm

CharlesM wrote:Thanks Charles, that's very helpful. My comment about high milers is shorthand for cars put up with high miles at a price that is not justified by the maintenance history. Dealers often haven't a clue what they are selling and look at you quizzically when you ask about such things as shocks and bushes and types of tyres (my rule, if not Michelin PS tyres, be it 2,3, PSS or 4 then I budget to replace them - even if new!). My 2 B10s were transformed by PS2 and PS3.
Fair point - although as there aren't many around, they do find their level once knowledgeable buyers get involved. I was recently in contact with James Ruppert (from Autocar and Bangernomics fame) and suggested a value of £12.5k for my car and he said that that was conservative!
I asked (and paid) Phil at CPC to do a report on my first B10. After a month of chasing him for it, I gave up and went elsewhere, and got the necessary work done promptly by an ex BMW master tech from North Oxford who'd worked on a number of them before and who worked for a friend at his classic car business.
I do recall that now. As I say to anyone, Phil is a nightmare to get hold of and you have to keep trying, trying, trying and then try some more. However, when he works his magic it is brilliant and his team are very good too.

Good luck with your search and if there is anything else I can help with regarding the B3S then just shout.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Best way with Phil? just go there! but thats not always practical

CharlesM
ALP
ALP

Post by CharlesM » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:54 am

A quick question on the headgasket appetite of B3S cars. I'm assuming that the head will need a skim each time one is replaced - first is that correct and second, is there a point at which the head itself will need replacing?