Paint Protection Film

Discuss all aspects of Car Care / Detailling etc.
Charles

Paint Protection Film

Post by Charles » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 pm

I've searched and found quite a few older posts but am looking for a recent recommendation.

I am having the front end - bumper, spoiler, bonnet and leading edge of the front wings - resprayed to remove the multiple stone chips/dents that have accumulated over quite a few miles. To protect this in the future, I am looking at a self-healing clear film - XPEL and/or Suntek - to be fitted and would like to find somewhere near to Oxford.

Any recommendations and/or advice please

Cheers

Charles
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Paulb
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Paulb » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 am

Weigh up - Cost of PPF against what you're spending on the resprayed affected areas.

The PPF's I've seen after a few years give a clear line on the edge of the PPF that doesn't look good. On a Mk2 Focus RS the whole PPF is needing to be replaced as it's looking tatty (show car).

You may be better going for a ceramic wax like Gynol
Nothing to see here.... move along in an orderly fashion please!
E91 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #004 - (sold)
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #032
F31 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #172
Mk1 Focus RS #516
Mk3 Focus RS Heritage #8 of only 50
and a 1987 Sierra RS Cosworth (currently being restored)

D3-No.435
AL
AL

Post by D3-No.435 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:45 am

I would avoid PPF. I've used 3M Ventureshield on a silver car in the past and after a while it started to go yellow. It's not discreet neither. It did it's job of protecting the paintwork but just didn't look right in my opinion especially at shows.

Eventually i removed it and and got myself a bonnet bra and front end mask. I know these stands out more and look tacky but they can be installed or removed in a matter of minutes. Once removed the front end looks much more appealing than having PPF. Another plus point of the bonnet bra was the flaps as they help deflected debris away from the windscreen eliminating chipped windscreens.
Current Garage: 1992 964 C4 | 2001 Lupo GTi | 2002 Seicento Schumacher | 2005 Stilo Schumacher GP | 2009 Golf GTD | 2011 E90 Alpina D3 (No.435) https://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vi ... 75#p182275 | 2011 E92 M3 | 2014 F30 Alpina D3 (No.153) | 2015 A3 TFSI

Previous: 1987 Fiesta 1.4S | 1990 309 GTi | 2000 Audi S3 | 2000 Mini Cooper LE500 | 2001 Bora 130TDi | 2001 E39 M5 | 2007 Audi S6 V10

jester

Paint Protection Film

Post by jester » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 am

I've had PPF on two vehicles both black for over 2 years now with no issues. I've seen numerous vehicles with PPF fitted and if it's installed by the right person it's almost totally invisible. You'd have to be less that 2 feet away to even see any edges.

Regarding the point on the line around the edges. These are simple residue from waxes, clean products etc. that build up on the edge. easily removed with a very soft brush.

I would however avoid Ventureshield. PPF has moved on significantly with Suntek and Xpel offering far better products with hydrophobic properties as well as the usual protection.

Also couple of things to note.

1. Always have a full front end and not a partial kit, it removes the issues with the edges and for little additional cost. I've had Full front end, sills, doors, roof and top of rear bumper fitted to a Black M4 and trust me you wouldn't know it was there (happy to send you some images). I even get comments asking how do I manage to keep the car looking that good.
2. If you get a ceramic coating applied on top of the PPF you'll get a finish thats hard to beat with regard to looks and maintenance.
3. You might also want to consider windscreen film as well.

I'd say if your thinking of having PPF talk to Jarrod at www.bodyguarduk.com they are in Daventry and he's been fitting the stuff for over 10 years. And his prices are pretty competitive.

Cheers

Nick

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 pm

I've used http://paintguard.co.uk/ just for my headlight protection and the chap is based in Waterlooville in Hants so not too far away and he travels so will most likely come to you.

He did a great job although admittedly a very easy one, but whilst talking to him he's used to doing full car covering and does use the latest films. Even though Ventureshield is mentioned on the webpage it also mentions newer options.

I doubt he'll be cheap but does talk a good game and my limited experience was positive :)

I'll be interested to hear the outcome whatever you do as the front of my B10 is very tired up close.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185
1982 Krauser MKM1000 #121 - sold

Estoril Sport
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Estoril Sport » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:30 pm

I am unable to help regarding who to do the Xpel file installation apart from I would advise you use a approved Xpel install who can offer a 10 year guarantee. Here is a listing of approved installers in the UK. http://www.xpel.com/locator/search/clea ... ed_Kingdom

Having PPF film applied to your own car is very much a personal thing. I looked at the benefits and possible negatives and for me the positives outweigh the negatives.

I had Xpel film on B3 BiTurbo and after 6 year is still looked good, and you could not see it unless you were less than 12 ins away from the car. You do have to be careful when waxing the car not to leave wax deposits on the edges as this can collect dirt where the film could not be wrapped over the edge. I used a wooden cocktail stick and detailing spray to remove the wax deposits that collected after waxing.

The success of the finished result is very much down to the installed and that the paint has been properly prepared for the film. There are good and not so good installers out there, so I would recommend you have a look at cars they had applied the film on to if you can, and go with recommendation from satisfied customers is a must. Even with the recent ceramic coating these will not stop a stone marking a the paint, these ceramic coating are great for reducing minor swirl marks that can appear . There are now sealants that will self heal itself like the self healing PPF film.

From seeing the benefiting first hand on the merits of PPF film with my B3 BiTurbo, my 911 S4 has had a total coverage of Xpel Ultimate film. Apart from the 1st drive from the dealership to home the next trip I made in the car was to the Detailer to apply the film!

Apologies for the large photos however I felt they were justified to see the finish of the PPF film better. If you have any questions please PM me.

This is after 6 years after the PFF film being applied.

Still looking like new I would say!

Here is my 911 S4 just finished having the PPF film applied.

I now do not apply wax to the car instead I apply a reguler treatment of Gyeon Cure after washing.

Pics of Alpina B3 BiTurbo after 6 years of ownership
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42727945@ ... 7163979341

Porsche 911 S4 Xpel install
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42727945@ ... 3868958113
Present: Porsche 911.2 S4
Manual transmission, rear wheel steering, sports suspension and exhaust. Chrono Pack, 18 way Sports seats, plus other goodies!
http://carscapes.byethost33.com/

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Wow that Porsche is stunning

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks for all the comments so far - much appreciated.

What's disappointing is that I contacted three installers in my area via their website enquiry forms on Tuesday afternoon and I have yet to hear back from any of them 3 days later - not even a courtesy email to acknowledge my enquiry.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Estoril Sport
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Estoril Sport » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:13 pm

hap wrote:Wow that Porsche is stunning
Thank you :D :D :D I always admired the classic look of a 911 and fortunate to be in a position to order a new one to my own specification.
Present: Porsche 911.2 S4
Manual transmission, rear wheel steering, sports suspension and exhaust. Chrono Pack, 18 way Sports seats, plus other goodies!
http://carscapes.byethost33.com/