theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALPINA B10 3.2 Estriol Blue - number 79

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P3CCA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: ALPINA B10 3.2 Estriol Blue - number 79 Reply with quote

Hello everybody.

I have owned the B10 from 2010.

Current milage is approx 102k (I shall post a picture when I get the new / repaired module back)

In seven years I have driven her approx 10k.

Now after sitting in storage for the past five years I have decided to spend a little bit of money on her and get her back on the road.

The following posts shall be details of what "expenditure" both financially and physically is required to get her back up to tip top A1 condition.

The list for things to do at the moment is growing daily in relation to my bank balance diminishing!

Just to start things off here is a list of things that I know require serving / upgrading / repairing.

clutch
water pump
thermostat
New coolant hoses
new radiator / header / expansion tank (still debating if this is required?
New fluids all around inc diff
All new filter including fuel
Tacograph pixelated
ABS module replacement
Brakes
Suspension (everything)
new plugs

If there is anything that I have overlooked please let me know and maybe turn this thread into the goto for e39 B10 ALPINA 3.2 and 3.3. (I am unsure on what overlaps with the B10 V8.

If any body has recommendations and or uptodate part numbers please feel free to post.

I look forward to this being somewhat of an adventure!

The bank balance or lack of scares me!!!
P3CCA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil ?

What oil should we use?

Having read up and down the forums here and other BMW forumsI decided to contact ALPINA direct and see what they recommend for an older vehicle.

This was their reply

"of course you can flush the engine but we do not recommend any product.
The cheapest and most efficient way is to fill 1l of Diesel fuel into the engine oil and let the car idle for 20 minutes.
I do not recommend to use a 0W30 oil in such an old car. Use a good 5W40 or 10W40 semi synthetic. Or the BMW motorsport oil CASTROL EDGE Professional TWS10W60"

BIG BIG thank you to ALPINA Buchloe for clearing this up.

I have now ordered ten litres of Castrol EDGE Supercar 10W-60

http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/car-engine-oil/engine-oil-brands/castrol-edge/edge-product-range/supercar.html
ChrisLux
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, my B8 with 315,000km was originally listed as 0W30, after I changed Head Gasket at 250k I changed to 5w30 or 5W40, but last time I bought oil from Opie the guy told me really I should use 10W60 as even though it is not a BMW M engine, it's still high performance. I always have used Castrol even when BMW changed and recommended Shell and never had problem.
'97 E36 B8 4.6 Touring (19#27)
Individual Tannen Grun

'02 E39 ACS5 3.0d Touring
Individual Velvet Blue - Now sold

'05 E53 X5 3.0d
Sapphire Black

FREUDE AM FAHREN - SHEER DRIVING PLEASURE
E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I have never heard of adding diesel fuel to engine oil and running it for a short time to act as a cleanser prior to an oil change - anyone else.

My B10 4.6 has a 10/60 Castrol sticker on it from new so it gets that; the Alpina V12 engines have to use 10/60 - do otherwise at your peril.....

2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd made, but less than half left now)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of only hundreds left from the thousands made and still valiantly fighting a rusty grave)
greenelekta
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E24man wrote:
I have to say, I have never heard of adding diesel fuel to engine oil and running it for a short time to act as a cleanser prior to an oil change - anyone else...

I know some Americans who add Auto Trans Fluid to the oil before an oil change.
Z3 M Coupe Dakar Yellow
Z4 Monaco Blue
P3CCA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenelekta wrote:
E24man wrote:
I have to say, I have never heard of adding diesel fuel to engine oil and running it for a short time to act as a cleanser prior to an oil change - anyone else...

I know some Americans who add Auto Trans Fluid to the oil before an oil change.

It would be interesting to see what the actual engine flush brands really use.

Probably a combination of trans oil and diesel BUT then they multiple the price by 1000% 🤣

Yes I was also intrigued with the direct ALPINA answer. If it's good enough for then then it's good enough for us!
P3CCA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next question on my to do list...

Over the years I have read many times about the e39 and weak radiators / coolant systems.

I believe the B10 radiator is from a 540.

Remember the car is 19 years young and has not moved for five years

Q - do you recommend replacing
radiator
header / expansion tank
all coolant hoses

My gut feeling is to replace all of the above BUT all of these 50 here and 200 there soon add up to be a couple of grand here and five grand there!
Alpina Jim
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been off enjoying a bit of foreign sunshine. Very Happy

That is a bit of a list for you to sort but it is good to hear you are keeping your 3.2 and will no doubt enjoy her when she is back on the road again.

Oil wise, my 3.2 has done just over 92k miles and I still use Castrol 0/30. it has been renamed a bit and currently is Edge Titanium FST. My 3.2 has never used much oil and with the very low miles I do now between oil changes I rarely need to top up.

The 3.2 parts list shows the radiator as 17 11 1 702 969. I have got a feeling it might be a tropical spec rad but cannot remember, perhaps someone else will know for definite? My 3.2 is still on the original rad and with regular coolant changes still seems fine although I am conscious that it is heading towards the 20 years old mark.

Have you got a copy of the English 3.2 parts list? If not let me know and I will see if I can get a copy to you.

Good luck with the jobs.

'98 B10 3.2 #174 in Alpina Blue owned since 13th Sept 2002.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: