B6S Brake Discs

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

B6S Brake Discs

Post by robmarrs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:26 pm

I know this has been done to death, but has anybody found any suitable "alternative source" for the discs on these cars, my rears are going to need replacing soon, and at the front I have a constant wobble under braking, probably due to pad transfer to disc under long term parking/lack of use outside, so they may need doing as well.

It seems the pads and calipers are all E66 760il parts, are the discs the same? or has anybody got an old set they can measure properly?

Previous experiences with the K38 and its large Racing Dynamics Brembo Brake kit, revealed that E38 750i disc fitted, although they were 2mm bigger in diameter than the original kit, no real problem as only reduced the running clearance by 1mm to the caliper..... and a whopping £900 cheaper.

Any help as always appreciated.
Last edited by robmarrs on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW E46 M3 SMG Coupe - Track Car - Gone
TVR Chimaera 400 - Turbocharged - Gone
Porsche Cayenne GTS 4.8, Oops, the dark side has landed!
BMW E34 Racing Dynamics K38 - Gone
Alpina B3S Convertible - Gone due to B6S
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone
Alpina Roadster 3.4S - Gone
BMW E46 330d M Sport Touring - Gone
BMW M3 Evo E36 - Gone due to B3S
BMW 840 Ci Sport - Gone, but what a car
BMW M3 E30 - sadly departed

Too little time...Too many cars!

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:57 pm

I was under the impression they are the Middle East spec brakes for the e66 760.
This is from a review of the B6S when it was released with some dimensions for you Rob.

The B6 S’s stopping ability is impressively documented by the test results: from 200 km/h to a standstill in less than 5.5 seconds. Derived from the B7, special emphasis was placed on the brake system’s comfort-oriented characteristics. For this very reason, the discs, at 374mm/36mm front and 370mm/24mm rear, are not cross-drilled. In spite of this, wet-braking ability was noticeably improved by virtue of so-called ”dry-braking functionality”. When the windshield wiper is engaged, the brake pads lightly contact the brake discs from time to time, removing any film of water that might have built up. This action goes completely unnoticed by the driver. In combination with two-piston TEVES floating callipers, extremely high deceleration values and fade-free, linear braking are guaranteed.
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:17 am

Long story short. OEM discs don't fit even though they share external dimensions. Different offset but both 81mm high.

You can buy the 78mm high drilled discs from the E60M but I wouldn't ruin the smoothness personally.

A lot of people use FMW Tuning in Germany and the discs are around £550 a pair on there.

Bebs
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Bebs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:29 am

You might be able to just skim the fronts if you're getting juddering.
Mine did the same but after a heavy right footed blast on the continent they are now smooth as silk again. Do try giving them a proper work out.. the problem may well be lack of use - they hardly brake sweat under normal UK driving conditions..
B5 Touring (now sold)| 360 Modena| Granturismo S | Smart4two

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

Post by robmarrs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:37 am

Bebs wrote:You might be able to just skim the fronts if you're getting juddering.
Mine did the same but after a heavy right footed blast on the continent they are now smooth as silk again. Do try giving them a proper work out.. the problem may well be lack of use - they hardly brake sweat under normal UK driving conditions..
I thought that some hard use would sort it as well, I did the south of France (Gigondas) last year in it with a some spirited foot planted blats and braking hard from very high speed, but that did not help at all. I am considering skimming as an option as just had a quote from Sytners Sunningdale for parts and Front discs are £337.12 each, Pads £181.19 all + VAT.
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:41 pm

There is another option.

If you know a very good engineer you can get the mounting face of the discs milled by 3mm so that they fit.

You can buy the OEM front disc from £50 each although spending a little more on a quality brand is preferable. Pagids are £75 eacheck for example.

The discs aren't particularly expensive, nor are they hi-tech...Alpina will always use the cheapest part that does the job...but they do modify parts so that the original cheap OEM bits don't fit. Then the question becomes how do Alpina classify those parts. But that's another subject...

Just bear in mind that if skimming the minimum thickness is 34.4mm.

Hth

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

Post by robmarrs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Jervint wrote:There is another option.

If you know a very good engineer you can get the mounting face of the discs milled by 3mm so that they fit.

You can buy the OEM front disc from £50 each although spending a little more on a quality brand is preferable. Pagids are £75 eacheck for example.

The discs aren't particularly expensive, nor are they hi-tech...Alpina will always use the cheapest part that does the job...but they do modify parts so that the original cheap OEM bits don't fit. Then the question becomes how do Alpina classify those parts. But that's another subject...

Just bear in mind that if skimming the minimum thickness is 34.4mm.

Hth
My Front Discs are pretty new anyway, so I am not expecting to get below the minimum, been quoted £40.00 per side for skimming the front

Tell me more on the milling side of things, I take you are talking about the face that mounts against the actual bearing hub, ie. the inside of the rotor bell, then what disc do your order.... an E66 760il Pagid disc which is 374 x 36, is this the same procedure for the rear which is going to need doing first on my car, what disc is the rear.... E66 760il rear again?

Thanks Jervint
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

Post by robmarrs » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:35 pm

PhillV8S wrote:I was under the impression they are the Middle East spec brakes for the e66 760.
Phil I had read that too, but can't find any spec for a middle eastern one anywhere.

See you on the 30th for a good old chin wag, you still going?
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Yep I'll be there. Can't help with the spec of brakes but have the part numbers as I had new brakes fitted when I got the car if you need them.
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:11 pm

If you want to mill the discs then order the 370x24mm for the rear. The milling of the mounting face is why the external dimensions remain the same but the offset changes.

I have very faith this is correct after a lot of researching but haven't confirmed it first hand yet. Not a lot is said of the rears and actually mine don't need replacing so I might never find out but I'd expect it to be the same as the front situation. However the owners always report the 81mm front discs being too high or tall...and it fits with the info we have.

However my experience of Alpina parts is that they often modify an OEM part to make it Alpina-specific.

The good news is there is a little bit of weight saving every time a Alpina shave a bit of metal off which adds up over the whole car!

Bebs
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Bebs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:01 am

Order OEM discs from Europe - last I checked Sytner price versus Dutch main dealer it was half price! 100% mark up on parts by BMW UK.

Bebs
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Bebs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:05 am

I did a little research on the subject of B5 brakes and Europe v BMW UK prices. Its quite the eye opener:

Front pad set for both sides:
BMW UK £253.44
Holland main dealer £163.38!

Front Discs EACH:
BMW UK £404.57
Holland main dealer £210.92!

Rear pad set for both sides:
BMW UK £122.64
Holland main dealer £87.69!

Rear Discs EACH:
BMW UK £337.29
Holland main dealer £168.32!

As I had a new alternator fitted last year in France I thought I'd add this as well - its a standard E60/61 BMW part:

BMW UK £636.00
French main dealer £420.24

robmarrs
ALP
ALP

Post by robmarrs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:33 pm

:evil: Stealers :evil: ...no other word for it!

and if that is the common market, then god help us when we all have to start paying import duty post final Brexit!

my research continues, I hope to reveal my further findings soon, and to aid this if anybody who is coming to the 30th April Sytner gathering who has some old genuine discs front and particularly the rear off a B6 or B5 I could measure on the day that would be much appreciated.
Alpina B6S Convertible
BMW X5 4.6is - Gone

WINNE1
ALPI
ALPI

Post by WINNE1 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:56 pm

robmarrs wrote::evil: Stealers :evil: ...no other word for it!

and if that is the common market, then god help us when we all have to start paying import duty post final Brexit!

my research continues, I hope to reveal my further findings soon, and to aid this if anybody who is coming to the 30th April Sytner gathering who has some old genuine discs front and particularly the rear off a B6 or B5 I could measure on the day that would be much appreciated.
I've got a set of genuine discs front and rear that come off my B6 that's only done 35,000 ill bring for you to measure because you never know one day you may not be able to get genuine ones so look me out on the 30th. :!:
B6 convertible 4.4 black with silver decals .
B5 saloon 4.4 black with silver decals .

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:01 pm

What's the name of the French dealership Bebsy?