e46 B3s - Amber Oil Light

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:45 am

hap wrote:Is it a quick fix Charles and how much
Mine still doing it ahhhh
A quick search reveals this
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Ok checked level this evening and yep it was below the minimum just so topped up 750ml and drove home expecting the light to come on and it didn't
Now I found a YouTube vid and a comment I found said this light coming on is to warn you level has gone borderline to minimum and check and top up
I will see if this is true as the light won't come on assuming that is correct

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:25 am

hap wrote:Ok checked level this evening and yep it was below the minimum just so topped up 750ml and drove home expecting the light to come on and it didn't
Now I found a YouTube vid and a comment I found said this light coming on is to warn you level has gone borderline to minimum and check and top up
I will see if this is true as the light won't come on assuming that is correct
What you are describing Hap is different to what bmw virgin is talking about, I think.

If the light comes on 30 seconds after starting up, stays on for 10 seconds and then extinguishes, then it indicates that the oil level sensor circuit has identified a fault following its check cycle.

If it comes on just after switching off and stays lit for about 60 seconds, then your oil level is down to minimum and you need to top up.
Charles

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:34 am

Thanks Charles what u state when you turn off and light Stays on I have experienced and topped up as it was low on oil
The light coming on when driving staying on 10 secs and going off and not reappearing is new to me it hasn't come on whilst idling and came on each time I started to drive park up and start again and it would appear
Have just read at page 18 of handbook that oil is at bear minimum when light comes on when driving so sensor may not be duff
Cheers

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:24 am

Sound like this is a PICNIC issue with RTFM highlights... :shock:
Charles

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:54 pm

The manual lies light still coming on despite having correct level oil so will get the sensor renewed

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:43 pm

hap wrote:The manual lies light still coming on despite having correct level oil so will get the sensor renewed
Hap,

I don't think the manual lies - it simply states that the amber oil light indicates minimum level of oil. It doesn't state whether it will come on whilst driving or just when you stop and switch off

In my case, if the oil level is on the minimum, the amber low level light only ever comes on when I switch off and not whilst driving. The only light I would expect whilst driving would be a red warning, suggesting a sudden loss of oil pressure or dangerously low oil level.

As I have said several times already, if the lights go through their normal sequence on ignition and start-up and then 30 seconds later the oil light comes on for 10 seconds before going out again, then the sensor is faulty.

I have been there with this one and timed it several times. The consistent timings of 30 seconds and 10 seconds are a clear indicator of a pre-set check cycle. I changed the sensor and it stopped.

If it is just a faulty sensor, then it is fine to carry on, so long as you check the oil level regularly. The oil pressure warning comes from another sensor, so isn't affected by an defunct level sensor. Unless it really bothers you, wait until the next oil service, as you need to drain the oil to replace the sensor. It's a 5 minute job to replace and would fit in perfectly with an oil change.

HTH

Charles
Charles

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:56 pm

It does Charles and timings that I have done are similar to yours
I'll get an oem one and that'll sort it
Ta

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:42 pm

hap wrote:It does Charles and timings that I have done are similar to yours
I'll get an oem one and that'll sort it
Ta
Good :D
Charles

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Price 100 plus vat for the sensor only 😭

Mr Noops

Post by Mr Noops » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:10 pm

My 2003 B3 S exhibits this 'feature' - always has. Oil is topped off but, esp when leaving petrol stn and re-joinging MWay, it has a little freak out and lights yellow for 10 a couple of seconds and then goes off. This is when the oil is near the top of the 1Lt mark.
My solution has been to top up with a coffee cup of oil at a time until it stays out. This takes a couple of days / journeys.
I find that this is an indicated Max on the stick + about 300cc of oil.
So long as I do this, no probs. I think the sumps / sticks / oil quantity might be slightly off in the Alpina engine or perh it's just very sensitive to be even slightly under Max.
HTH.

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Mr Noops wrote:My 2003 B3 S exhibits this 'feature' - always has.
It certainly isn't a "feature" as you put it, but a clear indication that the oil sensor is failing or has failed.

This has happened twice on my car over 291000 miles and on both occasions, the sensor was replaced, the warning light stopped and further investigation of the old item showed that it had failed.

The amber light comes on at minimum level and only at the end of a journey - where it stays illuminated after the ignition is switched off for about a minute. If the oil light reappears 30 seconds after ignition and stays illuminated for 10 seconds, then the sensor needs changing.
Charles

Mr Noops

Post by Mr Noops » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for informative reply. Am turning 100Kmiles right now so probably need a sensor replaced. Do you know if it's a standard/Alpina sensor? Is it a major hoopla to change out?

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:06 am

Mr Noops wrote:Thanks for informative reply. Am turning 100Kmiles right now so probably need a sensor replaced. Do you know if it's a standard/Alpina sensor? Is it a major hoopla to change out?
This is covered earlier in this thread but here goes:

The part is a BMW item and costs about £100.

As it requires the engine to be drained of oil, it is most conveniently done next time you service the car. In the meantime, keep a close eye on oil level as the sensor will not warn you when it reaches minimum and dangerously low levels.

HTH

Charles
Charles

Mr Noops

Post by Mr Noops » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Brilliant - thank you - that is much appreciated.