theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another newbie.... Another B10 V8 wanted!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA Buying Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
men3cac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Another newbie.... Another B10 V8 wanted! Reply with quote

Hello all.

I've been perusing the usual candidates to try and find a B10 V8 as a not-so-sensible family motor!

Not much luck so far, but as they aren't very common I guess I'm in for a bit of a wait. I'd prefer a facelift touring, but seeing as there is only 4 of them I'm open to whatever is going as long as it's been well cared for.

I've done some research, but one thing I'm not sure about is the early 340bhp motor. Is this pre-vanos, and if so is this a good thing or a bad thing on a ~100k car?! I can't imagine I'd notice the 7 bhp even if they were all still there. I'd be interested in hearing from people who've driven both.

Any pointers, either in what to look for or cars coming up for sale, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Craig
E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E34 I have has the 340 engine and my Touring is the last rhd V8 Touring made with the 347 engine. In my experience you won't see the power difference but you will see the economy difference.

There is also a difference with the headgasket between early and late engines in that the early engines have so called 'organic' headgaskets and the later cars have a more conventional metal headgasket. Historically some engines with organic gaskets have had problems but I have an early engine with 150k miles on it and don't worry about it. It isn't based on vanos (347) or non-vanos (340) but on build date and engine number.

My V8 Touring also has in excess of 130k miles on it without any major issues; just check oil changes have been kept up to date and always keep on top of the coolant system.

2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd made, but less than half left now)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of only hundreds left from the thousands made and still valiantly fighting a rusty grave)
jamesa
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: B10 V8 Touring Reply with quote

I may consider again selling my pre-facelift Touring in the near future, includes several facelift options.

See the following link for the history under my ownership so far, car is stored at home in Aberdeen.

Mileage is ~ 153k with all the typical issues attended to i.e. headgaskets, cooling system ...

http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12138&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The full option specification can be made available via the BMW Archive vin decoder facility.

PM me for anything further.
B10 V8 Touring #160 Alpina Blue ... SOLD
men3cac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice

James, I think I'll count myself out purely due to the mileage. I'm sure it's absolutely fine, but I can't imagine selling it after I'd put another 20-30k on it would be particularly easy. Thanks for replying though.

I'm not limiting myself purely to tourings BTW. If anyone spots anything interesting give me a shout!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA Buying Advice All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: