27th December 2006 - So what did you get ?

Ramblings and thoughts from Neil
neil
Administrator
Administrator

27th December 2006 - So what did you get ?

Post by neil » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:30 am

So after my thread saying I didn't want anything and asking what you guys wanted. I thought I'd see how it panned out.

I got:

12 months road tax off the wife
Gordon Ramsey's auto biography
Pirates of the Caribeen 2 DVD
B6 2.8 Revell model (nearest thing they made to a B8 one)
Desk calendar
little Jaguar E-type model

The kids seemed to get every conceivable toy - Harry's fully Batman'd up as well having a fair amount of Cars stuff too. The girls are fully Baby Born'd up. Which means doll, car, bath, beds...

We've still got the other grandparents to visit too !

Anyhow I was pretty chuffed with my presents, especially the first one as that meant I got out in the B8 today ! I'll post something about that in the general forum.

Cheers

hythe
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by hythe » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:46 pm

New Mac Mini - very handy!
Books on motor racing at Crystal Palace (which is v. near where I live), Vic Elford's new autobiography and The Lost Generation (excellent new book on the tragically short careers of Roger Williamson, Tony Brise and Tom Pryce)

Plus the usual assortment of other stuff...
2016 D3 #296
2012 Range Rover

Former:
2005 B5 Touring #007
1996 B8 4.6 Touring #014
2011 1M Coupe

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Sony Walkman MP3 player - so small the kids thought it was a cigarette lighter!!!
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:46 pm

THIS and THIS

The car is very very fast, often race real cars up my road with it, and the mini-helicopter is so much fun. Could play with them both all day long.

Also received a 1/24 scale model 635csi, which I have been painting all day today. It's very detailed, and you have to paint every single part of it - like the indicator stalks, distributor, seat belts, rear view mirrors, gear knobs, handbrake....etc. It's bloomin fiddly, seeing how small they are, but hopefully it'll be worth it.

Looked on the back of the box and saw that they also do an Alpina Z8 in this series, will have to try and get my hands on one...
My Website!

"If you don't feel out of control, you're not driving fast enough." - Mario Andretti

D4
Administrator
Administrator

Post by D4 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:47 am

quite often the ALPINA Z8 comes up on ebay.de as does the ALPINA B6 2.8 E36 - just search ALPINA (biggest problem is getting payment to the German sellers - usually the best is to send cash via registered mail.
2011 BMW 520d M Sport Saloon
2008 BMW 120i M Sport 5 Door

Previous ALPINAs
1984 E28 B9 3.5
1989 E32 B11 3.5
2000 E39 B10 V8 Touring
2005 E85 Roadster S #344

Twitter: d4bmw (follow me for all the latest ALPINA updates and other car related guff)

Simon Davey
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Simon Davey » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:08 am

Santa and his little helpers brought for me:

Some great books (iWoz, Freddie Mercury A Life, etc.)
Some great clothes
Some great shaving stuff
Some great CDs (amongst them The Killers and Robert Plant's 9-disc boxed set)

Sadly no cure for insomnia though... why is it that it always strikes when you're most tired? One of life's great mysteries.

Simon
AM DBS V8 Red / Tan (1971)
E70 Sapphire Black 4.8i SE / Camel
And some previous ones: see http://homepage.mac.com/sddavey/Cars

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:59 am

http://fastsaloons.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1706

and a BMW! (but that's another story. :roll: )

hythe
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by hythe » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:10 pm

D4 wrote:quite often the ALPINA Z8 comes up on ebay.de as does the ALPINA B6 2.8 E36 - just search ALPINA (biggest problem is getting payment to the German sellers - usually the best is to send cash via registered mail.
Or just buy it from any UK modelling retailer - it's still in the catalogue - you can pick it up at Hamley's, for example, or on one of the UK modelling retail sites.

Shame you've got only the 635CSi and not the B7 Turbo variant that they did - I have one of those sitting in my cupboard upstairs, waiting for me to have oodles of time to do it justice. That could be a couple of years, then...
2016 D3 #296
2012 Range Rover

Former:
2005 B5 Touring #007
1996 B8 4.6 Touring #014
2011 1M Coupe

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:28 pm

Yeh, I would love to do a B7 Turbo, or the Z8, or any Alpina infact. The 635csi is still very nice though, but, as you say, they need a lot of time and patience. Yesterday for example I gave the main shell 4 coats of gloss black, then 4 coats of clear to get it nice and shiny. I've let all the paint dry overnight and have started the glueing.

I've seen some Z8s for sale on eBay, but they're all from Japanese sellers and don't know if it's worth the hassle.

I was also thinking that if I could source the Alpina wheels from the Z8 kit then I could turn the 6 into an Alpina - it's already got the Alpina boot spoiler.
My Website!

"If you don't feel out of control, you're not driving fast enough." - Mario Andretti

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Simon Davey wrote:Santa and his little helpers brought for me:

Some great books (iWoz, Freddie Mercury A Life, etc.)
Some great clothes
Some great shaving stuff
Some great CDs (amongst them The Killers and Robert Plant's 9-disc boxed set)

Sadly no cure for insomnia though... why is it that it always strikes when you're most tired? One of life's great mysteries.

Simon
I was going to ask what iWoz was but then remember the internet ! Looks like an interesting book - let me know what you think when you've finished it.

"Some great shaving stuff" - really - that line reminded me of the thankyou cards I wrote as a boy, thanks for the brilliant socks etc.

hythe
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by hythe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:16 pm

Petrolhead wrote:Yeh, I would love to do a B7 Turbo, or the Z8, or any Alpina infact. The 635csi is still very nice though, but, as you say, they need a lot of time and patience. Yesterday for example I gave the main shell 4 coats of gloss black, then 4 coats of clear to get it nice and shiny. I've let all the paint dry overnight and have started the glueing.

I've seen some Z8s for sale on eBay, but they're all from Japanese sellers and don't know if it's worth the hassle.

I was also thinking that if I could source the Alpina wheels from the Z8 kit then I could turn the 6 into an Alpina - it's already got the Alpina boot spoiler.
You can get the V8 Roadster Revell kit anywhere in the UK - it's readily available.
2016 D3 #296
2012 Range Rover

Former:
2005 B5 Touring #007
1996 B8 4.6 Touring #014
2011 1M Coupe

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:41 pm

Yeh, did a bit more research on the Z8 and also found out they were readily available.

Whilst I was building the 635, I was all up for doing another. By the time I'd finally finished building it, I had completely changed my mind. The painting wasn't so bad but the glueing was a pain in the arse. I also only found out after I'd applied the glue that it eats away at the paint, leaving a less than satisfactory finish.

Maybe next Christmas I'll do another...
My Website!