theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B10 Buying Advice and Dash Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA Buying Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneball
AL
AL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: B10 Buying Advice and Dash Question Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I guess I should introduce myself, before asking a quesiton; I'm Tim, I live in Worcester and am thinking about getting an Alpina.

After giving up the last time and buying a Subaru I'm looking for a B10 again. Don't worry I'm not an "Impreza driver" so I won't be putting any turbo badges on it, like the E34 I followed last night Shocked .

I'm off to look at another one at the weekend but from the photos the seller has sent me it appears to have black and white instruments. I did have a search on the forum and couldn't find anything conclusive. The car is a 1999 B10 V8. I'll check if there are any error messages in the control unit and if the odo tamper light is lit when I view it. But I was just wondering if the blue dials were optional or not?

I've been looking after my Dad's E39 for the last ten years, (I'm currently sitting here on my day off with his headlight stepper motor in bits, maybe I should keep the Subaru!), so have a little bit of an idea about the usual E39 problems. I've also read some of the posts here about head gaskets and gearboxes but if you've got any further advice, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim
brett
ALPI
ALPI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim
Welcome to a fellow midlander,the clocks on an e39 should be blue,so be wary

E39 V8s (043)
CharlesM
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photo of my instruments on my 2002 E39 B10- it is not the most prominent blue as you can see.

sward
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Tim. Is there an online advert for the B10 you are interested in? Can you post a link?
Regards
Simon
BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey - with all the potential B10 buyers around now might be good time to sell......but seriously take your time and choose a good un and you'll love it Laughing
2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185
1982 Krauser MKM1000 #121 - sold
Oneball
AL
AL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Charles I agree the blue's not that obvious but the orange needles are.

Sward, looking through here there has been some discussion of the car previously and how bad the ad is, can't find the ad on pistonheads now but this is the old one: here

The mileage combined with the dash worries me but wont find out till I go and have a look, it's not as if I've got anything to loose apart from a tank of fuel. I've already got a stupidly thirsty car, it's a bit depressing when you put 50 in and the dash says you can do 180 miles.

I'm not necessarily looking for a touring, it's just one that I've not ticked off yet, there's an awful lot of cars out there that don't meet my standards. I don't worry about things like suspension bushes and the like but when owners screw things into dash boards or the trans fluid is a disgusting shade of black I'm on my bike.

The other car on my list at the moment is a black V8S on ebay who I think is a member here but I can't find it advertised in the forum's for sale section now.

Tim
Oneball
AL
AL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a proper photo now and it's standard BMW, looks like a 540i dash?

To be honest a few things about the history don't add up, maybe I'm just too cynical but I expect other people to look after their cars like I do and know the details.

Anyway I'm going to have a look tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll report back.

I don't know whether I should expand my search to include B3s, might have to ask you guys some questions. I've had a number of BMWs but never an E46
BMW540
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B10 V8 buying guide:
http://bmw540.eu/B10V8E39.pdf

Quote:
The car is a 1999 B10 V8.

Then it is a good idea to ask if the head gaskets has been replaced with metal ones.
BMW 745 E23 1981 3,2 turbo 252 HP - Sold
BMW 525 E28 1985 2,5 150 HP - Sold
B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the seller what is the Alpina plaque number which shows the chassis number, without that it is a wannabe.
The plaque can be found next to the interior lights.
Also ask him where he got his figures from, IIRC there were only 2 tourings imported in 1999 out of a total of 7 V8's. there were also only 4 V8S tourings imported.
Oneball
AL
AL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's #116, I believe it's was genuine when it left Buchloe whether it is now is another question!
John_C
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

116 is pretty early, it might be before the blue clocks were used, not sure what number they came in at but I do know the early cars didn't have blue clocks.
Oneball
AL
AL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to have a look at V8 Touring #116 today:

Good points:

Lots of history and correct services including pretty much every receipt from new until 2009 then it peters out.

Body work is straight, interior good, everything electrical works, engine, gearbox, brakes and diff seem without fault.

Mats, handbooks, keys, tools, Alpina spare wheel are all there.

57k miles, although not much use in the last 3 years

Owner seems desperate to sell

Bad points:

Dash is a 540i not an Alpina but paperwork seems to show it was replaced in 2004 by Sytners!

No apparent service history after Dec 09 oil change at 51200miles

Engine management light on, think it's the fault code for "fuel tank vent" but my computer's battery died before I had chance to write it down.

Both LH wheels slightly scuffed

LH headlight adjusters broken

Radiator cracked and weeping around inlet

Significant corrosion to metal frame of glass tailgate

Appears to be primer overspray on footwell panel next to bonnet release but couldn't work out what has been repaired

Minor dent in sill and floor near LH rear jacking point

All jacking point rubbers missing

RH rear ARB link worn

LH wing mirror opaque

RH wing mirror glass non-original, looks like a cheap copy

Scrape to LH wing mirror and LH rear doorhandle

Front tracking is out

Knock from front left suspension possible LCA bush

Overall the 3 years missing history and the tailgate rust worry me. But it could be a very good car with the right amount of effort put into it.
Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneball wrote:
Dash is a 540i not an Alpina but paperwork seems to show it was replaced in 2004 by Sytners!
Appears to be primer overspray on footwell panel next to bonnet release but couldn't work out what has been repaired
Minor dent in sill and floor near LH rear jacking point
Front tracking is out
All jacking point rubbers missing

I'd want to get to the bottom of these points. Could it be slightly banana shaped due to a side impact that damaged the dash? How new are the tyres and are they evenly worn?
It certainly looks a nice motor but the corrosion and radiator will set you back an easy four figures plus.
John_C
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd walk away unless it's very, very (very) cheap.

The MIL is an immediate mot fail now so I'd want to know exactly what that was about or preferably have it fixed at the sellers expense before buying.
Oneball
AL
AL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chas and John

I don't think it's had a bad accident, but I just couldn't work out where the over spray was from.

The seller is taking the car back to the garage as it had the same fault last week which was supposedly fixed but the light came back yesterday. I wish I'd taken a power lead for my computer with me then I could tell you more.

There is a part of me that just wants to rescue it! He's got it advertised for 8500 but by my reckoning it's not worth half that as it sits, although I'm not sure I'd take the risk.

There is something to me that just doesn't add up, I can't put my finger on what but it's there in the back of my mind. Hence I did just walk away without giving him even a silly offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA Buying Advice All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: