Planning for the winter

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford

When do you change over to winter rubber?

End of October/Beginning of November
90%
When I remember to do so
No votes
When I have to scrape the windscreen in the morning
10%
When I've had my first scary moment of the season
No votes

Total votes: 10

Charles

Planning for the winter

Post by Charles » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:21 pm

So, if previous years are anything to go by, temperatures should be dropping such that my morning and evening commutes will be typically at less than 7 celsius within the next week or so - particularly once the clocks go back.

To that end, a new pair of Michelin Alpin tyres are waiting at my local fitter to replace the worn rears (the fronts are still good) and I've cleaned and waxed the winter wheels in preparation for fitting in the near future.

My problem is that the weather this year has been somewhat unpredictable and I'm not sure when I will be making the change. One moment it's cold enough to require extra jumpers and a boost on the central heating and the next moment I'm in shirt sleeves.

Normally I use the October half term as my trigger to change over but I'm not convinced that by next weekend the temperatures will be regularly into single figures.

So when are others considering making the switch to winter rubber?
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:52 pm

As a number of us mothball the cars over the winter months, I think you need another option along the lines of:

- Use my Alpina in winter, why would I do that?

:)
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:30 pm

So, my plans are that next week is the last of the Roadster in 'general use' this year unless the gritters come out before next Friday. Then it is to be laid-up stood on summers until we get 'proper' cold weather...then the winters will be put on her as the stand-by car. The D3BT stays on summers all year round and only gets used when the weather is suitable - which last year was every day round here.

I have a new pair of Vredestein Quatrac 3 all-weather tyres going on the front of the Astra this week (I've had them in store since I bought them in the early summer when they were very cheap 8) ). The Astra becomes the winter grunter up and down the gritted coast road for the duration with the RS as emergency back-up. The RS will get a few runouts when the roads aren't too gritty for a bit of roof-down winter sunshine fun 8)
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

markbannister
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by markbannister » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:05 pm

All our cars are used all year round but winter tyres go on Mrs. Mark's Mercedes at the end of October.

I will ony not drive the 335/B10/S4 if it's snow.
Mark B

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Like Perry, I do not use my Alpina during winter, in fact I have laid it up already.
Have the use of a AWD X type estate if the weather turns nasty :D

jamesa
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jamesa » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:29 pm

In the next few weeks ...
Ex. B10 V8 Touring #160 Alpina Blue : Current M2 DCT (OG)

Philrose
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Philrose » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Probably swop to winter set up in very early Nov. .
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

"Never trade luck for skill."

Alpina D3BT - no 364 - Wifeys
Alpina B3S BT cabrio no 235 - Mine
Yes, we have one each

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:57 pm

None of the above. If there's snow on the ground, I work from home or take the bus. Thankfully the latter is an easy option because I'm just off the main road and the bus will stop at the end of the drive. The bus station in the city is a short walk to the office 8)

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm now reading these posts with a lot more interest since living in W. Ukraine. We went to the mountains today & at one stage I was down to short shirt sleeves for quite a while. But I read here with great interest & am learning lots. I was in Sunderland Jan - Feb this year and I think most will agree it was colder than usual, -32 when I got to Kiev early Feb. And yet there wasn't a drop of snow all winter in Sunderland, zero being the lowest. But as I left by bus for Heathrow the M1 was closed & when I finally got to Heathrow it was closed. Makes planing difficult I imagine.
1989 B10 (2nd owner. For sale)
1997 E39 V8 (current daily in UKR)

JPR89
ALP
ALP

Post by JPR89 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Never used winter tyres myself. When it gets a bit nasty out there I try and keep driving down to a minimum anyway. The beast isn't the main car so would avoid any snow or ice, so not really worth paying out for winter tyres for her. When I had my 328 I survived down to -8c on the snow and ice last winter running on Michelin primacy's, no incidents :) although that was with only essential driving.
James - Former E39 B10 V8 owner #838.
Currently: E90 330i

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:38 pm

JPR89 wrote:Never used winter tyres myself. When it gets a bit nasty out there I try and keep driving down to a minimum anyway. The beast isn't the main car so would avoid any snow or ice, so not really worth paying out for winter tyres for her. When I had my 328 I survived down to -8c on the snow and ice last winter running on Michelin primacy's, no incidents :) although that was with only essential driving.
That's a point worth remembering, depending on an individual's movements. I wonder... if one is only doing short drives to shop or visiting, is it worth Winters or simply take it steady?
I also wonder, if the car has 'sticky' summers on, would they suffice for short runs.... or being careful? I ask this because there must be MANY people who don't/can't afford winters, so they MUST have to brave the poor conditions?
Not to mention the many idiots I've seen in several countries with 4 feet of snow still on the hood :shock: Good for "safety" or WHAT?

flyboyben
ALPI
ALPI

Post by flyboyben » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:54 pm

I bought a winter set last year but it didn't really snow so I'm still to find out what they are really like. I will probably do the swap this weekend as I hear there is an icy blast coming next week! :shock:
2005 Roadster S #306 - owned since 2018
2009 B3 Bi-turbo coupe #157 - owned since 2011
2015 F31 335d Xdrive - purchased Sept 2021

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm

And something I've often thought about; Tyre rubber becomes harder as time goes by, doesn't it? So how many winters do you keep them for before they are no longer suitable for winter conditions? (That's if they're still in good condition of course).

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Last edited by E24man on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:02 pm

E24man wrote:I bucked the trend and went for the nearest temperature related choice - the ice-scraping - as I go by the advice of changing rubber when your average daily driving temps dip below 7 degree's C.

So if you only drive in the middle of the day then later, but if you drive in early mornings, evenings and overnight, sooner.

My average driving temps here on the Wirral are still up at 12 or so degree's so a few weeks yet.
"The Wirril"?
But yeah, THAT'S what I call, "Using ya noggin". And yet I wonder.... "below 7"? Snow nowhere around yet?... or are you talking DURING winter on a nice day? Anyway I agree, tyre technology is constantly changing (& hopefully improving) but I would be concerned that if tyres are kept for any length of time (dark room or not) they not only deteriorate but also become obsolete... ar la computers etc.... still working, but... Part of my reason for considering my first purchase over here after winter actually.
At this stage I reckon the car will be housed for most of the winter as many of you blokes do. My mate in Sunderland, (gone from Jag to Merc... so improving) is a good man but absolutely useless at car talk so I reckon I may be able to teach him something already. 8)
ANYWAY, what's the story with chains (or the just released tyre 'blanket'), SURELY..... they're for very difficult, slow moving conditions? Excuse my complete ignorance here (you won't offend me), but am I missing anything? Surely NO ONE, would consider such things around town? Even black ice 'n all???