B6 Convertible

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

bfive
A
A

B6 Convertible

Post by bfive » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:44 pm

Off to look at one of these tomorrow afternoon. Very little detail on the advert so don't even know which build number! Meeting the owner at Hilton Hotel in London area. A bit concerned we are meeting away from a home address - although I get the feeling the vehicle is based in central london so its saving me going into the city! Just after some advice, other than checking V5 tallies up and doing an HPI check anything else you guys feel I should look out for? Unless the vehicle has any major obvious problems (which I doubt very much as it has only done 13,000 miles) I am likely to buy. Again, only issue that this is a large "Private" transaction and I have always dealt with garages. How do you handle large value transactions without either me being at risk....or the owner?
PS if I buy I guess will have to change username!!

joylove
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by joylove » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 pm

The only time I bought a lemon was when I overlooked all the advice about checking the paperwork, visiting the seller's home and having the car checked out properly by say the AA. I had travelled a very long way to see it, even roping a friend into giving me a lift at the last minute, and didn't want to leave without the car so I convinced myself it would be fine, and it wasn't.

I'd not feel comfortable spending that much money if I wasn't happy with the car and its paperwork.

try not to get snowblinded by the deal unless you exceptionally wealthy and can afford to lose the money. If that means you have to wait longer and buy something else even then so be it, there are a million other cars for sale.

some hpi checks will offer say £5000 insurance if they tell you it is hpi clear and it turns out not to be the case, however when you read the fine print they don't reimburse you if the data supplied to them by the police and the insurers is out of date or incorrect.

Spending £150 on an inspection and getting the paperwork checked if you are serious sounds like a no brainer.

sorry if I sound negative, but you couldn't have described a more dodgy way to buy a car if you had tried too, except maybe a carpark at night in the rain.

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:20 am

We've bought and sold a large number of cars privately, inc high value ones. We've never p/x'd our old cars...always sold privately with no issues (except for a Renault which we'd just given up on and wanted gone!). We've had one scare on a purchase with hp outstanding after finance showed as clear - so get it all in print from the HPi company. It does help later if the worst happens. It certainly did for us. Just bought our Roadster S privately and all was fine...but that deal was finally done in an industrial area in the Midlands and it felt very odd :? We deal in cash only or direct bank transfers (I won't accept or offer any other unless someone really wants it and is prepared to wait, now). We actually paid for the Roadster by going into the bank on the day in person and transferring the money into the seller's account directly in front of the seller. That was on a Saturday afternoon.

Check everything very carefully paperwork-wise, and be sure the history and papers all tally. Ask loads of questions to verify the guy in front of you knows the car properly. If he gives any dodgy vibes, walk.

Inspection-wise it's up to you. I'm confident crawling over and under a car, so wouldn't contemplate one. Others are less sure of their knowledge and understanding so would require an experienced eye on matters. For such a complex car, it may be worth the expense of an inspection, but even so, I don't believe they could find every fault, especially as many are intermittent. Gives you some comeback though if the worst should occur.

You can always rub your chin and leave it tomorrow and take time to think - these type of cars aren't exactly inundated with cash-in-hand buyers atm, so you'll have time. Plus a 2nd journey from Leics to the smoke isn't that far to repeat if you're subsequently happy. If the car is one owner, or recently ex-dealer network, give them a call and ask about any current knowledge. This worked for us with the Roadster. Eased a lot of fears.

Finally. good luck, and hope it's genuine.
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:57 am

Is it a B6 or B6S, as far as I know there are only 4 RHD B6 cabs in the UK.
A Blue One I went after 18 months ago, which had done 74000.
I have seen 2 others for sale, that were declared as low mileage, they
were up for sale for a long time, both around 42K.
I would think as there are so few the history should be easy to trace.

bfive
A
A

Post by bfive » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. It is a B6 - Number 37. met with the owner and seen the vehicle. Exactly as advertised. After agreeing deal in principle and exchanging emails did a quick background check on the seller.......lets just say governments probably listen to this guy!! - I am amazed that he took the time to show me the car himself! Will of course be doing HPI checks and reviewing paperwork, however all looking good so far.

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:13 pm

bfive wrote:.......lets just say governments probably listen to this guy!! - I am amazed that he took the time to show me the car himself!
Goodness! It's not Liam Fox's mate is it? If so, then he has some time on his hands at the moment so showing you the car wasn't too much trouble :wink:

Seriously though - here's hoping it all works out OK for you.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Charles wrote:
bfive wrote:.......lets just say governments probably listen to this guy!! - I am amazed that he took the time to show me the car himself!
Goodness! It's not Liam Fox's mate is it? If so, then he has some time on his hands at the moment so showing you the car wasn't too much trouble :wink:

Seriously though - here's hoping it all works out OK for you.
Governments (plural) listen?

Maybe Bob "I need your money now, so buy the forking car" Geldof? :lol:
B3 3.3

bfive
A
A

Post by bfive » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Collection tomorrow at 2.30! Look out for Blue blurr travelling north on M1 from London area. Then again..... Friday afternoon M1, perhaps look out for B6 parked on the motorway!

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Sounds good...and looking forward to seeing it at the Notts meet next month 8)

Hope all goes well tomorrow. :D
Current:

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.

bfive
A
A

Post by bfive » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Car home in garage! Brief scare at DVLA when I went to put on my private plate.....but everything is in order. Only one thing, a little disappointed in the condition of the leather on the drivers side - quite dirty and one bit scuffed- any ideas?

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:17 am

bfive wrote: a little disappointed in the condition of the leather on the drivers side - quite dirty and one bit scuffed- any ideas?
Briefly discussed recently:-
http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=10719

I cleaned our Roadsters (which were grubby) with some leather cleaning wipes I had knocking around and treated it twice over a couple of weeks with Autoglym leather care. Very pleased with the results - colour came up lovely and the leather feels well fed. I've treated the D3BT leather with the Autoglym since new, and they've kept really, really well. The scuff will take a bit more work, though

If that's the only disappointment, it can be mostly easily remedied. Sounds like you got a nice car, there. Lucky boy 8)

HTH
Current:

Previously loved:

olli
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by olli » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:21 am

bfive wrote:Car home in garage! Brief scare at DVLA when I went to put on my private plate.....but everything is in order. Only one thing, a little disappointed in the condition of the leather on the drivers side - quite dirty and one bit scuffed- any ideas?
Tim, these are proper leather professionals and there is some literature on their website about products on the market and why or why not to use.
http://lttsolutions.co.uk/index.php/auto.html