What's wrong with us?

Ok we have one - here's an opportunity to have one - if you got a point of view about something and want to share it - here's where you do it.
Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

What's wrong with us?

Post by Chas » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:45 pm

I was watching one of the TV news channels at the weekend for the latest on the Japanese earthquake disaster. After the news reports were completed we were treated to several hacks sitting on a sofa discussing the front pages of tomorrow's papers. All of those papers lead, naturally, with the events around the other side of the world. One of them (the Mirror?) gave half the front page to the potential of a nuclear disaster and the other half of the front page to a colour picture of some horses jumping a fence and the chance to win tickets to see it. :? No-one seemed to think this was odd.

At that point I was still taking in the devastation and loss of life which is probably unequalled in the developed world since WW2. The identical prominence given on the front page to a horserace in the UK was, to my mind, incredulous.

To my further astonishment, the team of hacks then went on to discuss the merits of some Italian guy giving an English guy an armband to wear whilst he kicks a bit of leather round a park like it was the most important thing in the world.

What has happened to our sensibilities? At least 20,000 people have lost their lives, many thousands more homeless and who knows how many may yet suffer radiation poisoning. When Princess Di died, we suspended news, radio, sport etc. This is in a different league altogether but it's treated by some as only marginally more important than sport. I'm not suggesting we should all be in mourning but I do wonder if we've got our sense of balance a little skewed.

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Yes, we do. Sickening isn't it?
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:30 am

IMHO opinion you can blame the so Celeb culture, when the only "Heroes" they know are grossly overpaid thick footballers, or some stick thin fag smoking hag of a model :evil:

I blame the rot on Diana, the money wasted on flowers could have built a Hospital :(

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:48 pm

If it is any consolation, I have been discussing the earthquake, tsunami and problems with the nuclear reactor with the boys at my school several times every day. This ranges from the Yr7 form group (11/12 year olds) through to the Yr10 class (14/15 year olds) - so citizenship is still alive in a part of Amersham.

On the homefront, all four of my children (14, 11 & 2x9) have wanted to discuss what's been going on - perhaps because we have been catching every news update whenever we can, but at least they are interested.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Charles wrote:If it is any consolation, I have been discussing the earthquake, tsunami and problems with the nuclear reactor with the boys at my school several times every day. This ranges from the Yr7 form group (11/12 year olds) through to the Yr10 class (14/15 year olds) - so citizenship is still alive in a part of Amersham.
Good to hear some hope for the future then!
Current:

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:27 pm

ade and liz flint wrote:Good to hear some hope for the future then!
True but I am in total agreement with Chas. We appear to be drifitng relentlessly towards a state of complete apathy within our society. Easier communication along with greater materialism is resulting in a society that doesn't look beyond the end of it's own nose and takes many things for granted. Whilst everyone laughed at Cameron when he proposed the idea of a "Big Society", I am completely behind the principle because this is something that has disappeared from our collective psyche and culture.

Thank heavens for Comic Relief last night when No4 child (No2 daughter) - who is perhaps the most selfish of the lot - commented on how fortunate we are compared to the children we were watching on the screen and whether there was something we could do about it. There then ensued a discussion about what she might do with her recent Premium Bond win (£25 but it all counts) and the reality of doing something kicked in. I didn't want to push it at the time but I hope that if it is left to stew in her mind she will choose to "do the right thing" on the back of her reaction to what she saw.

It won't change overnight but, like Chas and others, I sincerely hope that something starts to change and soon. Courage of convictions is key - just look at those in North Africa and the Middle East who are prepared to lay down their lives for the greater good.

Now that brings a £25 donation into perspective doesn't it ... :shock:
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Charles wrote:
ade and liz flint wrote:Good to hear some hope for the future then!
True but I am in total agreement with Chas. We appear to be drifitng relentlessly towards a state of complete apathy within our society. Easier communication along with greater materialism is resulting in a society that doesn't look beyond the end of it's own nose and takes many things for granted. Whilst everyone laughed at Cameron when he proposed the idea of a "Big Society", I am completely behind the principle because this is something that has disappeared from our collective psyche and culture.
Agree with you completely...and we did say 'some hope'!Really don't like the drift our society has taken during the past 5-10 years, and if more people were to get behind the 'big society' ideals, it might lead somewhere positive.
Current:

Previously loved:

ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ALPB1033 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:08 pm

+1 :) for the above with Charles!