Looked at a B10 3.2 today ~ have a couple of queries.

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

TimC

Looked at a B10 3.2 today ~ have a couple of queries.

Post by TimC » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi All

I've been surfing around the site for a little while with a view to buying a B10. I finally went to see a 3.2 today which was in lovely condition overall. However, I do have a few questions:
1. The front seat belts were very reluctant to return to their idle position - can this be easily fixed? It felt like it might get to MOT fail status within 12 months.
2. The car is fitted with an original car phone in the centre console. Can this be easily replaced with a cubby box or similar?
3. The manual gearbox, while easy enough to use and posing little danger in terms of selecting the wrong gear by accident, didn't feel terribly slick - far from rifle-bolt precision. Is this normal? I know I shouldn't expect MX-5 or S2000 standards of feel but not having driven a 5 series for a few years, I wasn't sure how good or otherwise it was.
4. The plastic trim around the driver's seat adjustment levers was damaged - the dealer said that he would make an effort to remedy but I'm not sure how possible this is.

Many thanks

Tim

blacky
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by blacky » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:39 pm

my seat belt on the drivers side is like that
& the gear box selectors is a known issue to as soon as i find a 6 speed box the 5 speed will be getting changed
the seat plastics should be an easy fix as nearly all the e39 front seats use the same plastics
the start of something good

TimC

Post by TimC » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi Blacky

Thanks for that. When you say the gearbox is a known issue, do you just mean in terms of being a satisfying shift action or are there greater problems at play?

I've been reading that the seatbelt issue is quite common on the E39. It looks like the car might be a winner then if I can do the right deal.

One question that I forgot to ask the seller was about an alarm system - is there something adaquate fitted as standard?

Thanks again.

TC

blacky
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by blacky » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:18 pm

they have a factory alarm / imobiliser as standard that seems to be ok for the insurance

the gears feel un possitive & sloppy & its a fault in the box with the selectors
if i cant find a 6 speed im going to strip the box when i do the clutch

Alpina Jim
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Alpina Jim » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi Tim,

My drivers seatbelt is also reluctant to retract but did not cause an issue at mot time. Years ago I cured a similar problem on another car with a squirt of WD40 on the mechanism spindle but whether this can or should be done nowadays I do not know.

The gearchange on my B10 is not the best I have had either. It is definitely notchy when cold and I have an additional problem when trying to go from 5th to 3rd whereby I have to wobble the lever in neutral first. Perfectly ok when hot and as blacky mentions it is the selector mechanism causing the problem. For reference my car has done 79k miles.

Alarm / immobiliser wise my 98 B10 has a DWA MY 99 system, this is a Thatcham category 1 system fitted as standard.
If you need proof of this then give Sytners at Nottingham a call and they will fax or send you a copy. At the same time ask for a copy of the delivery spec for your car and they will also supply that but minus the prices of course.

Do you know the plaque / build number for the car? What colour is it etc?

Good luck,
Jim
Jim

'98 B10 3.2 #174 in Alpina Blue owned since 13th Sept 2002.

TimC

Post by TimC » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:00 am

Hi Jim

Here it is - Number 79.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/703425.htm

What do you think?

With reference to the gearchange, has anyone considered the B&M quickshift? I saw good results on another car a couple of years ago.

blacky
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by blacky » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:56 pm

i have a quick shift on mine but it isnt the leaver that is at fault its inside the box i have replaced all the components that arent in the box already & it still has its moments

as above its 5th & 3rd that have issues ie you get 5th when wanting 3rd

alpina46
Tourettes Champion
Tourettes Champion

Post by alpina46 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:14 pm

Nice looking car 8) I like the stripes on it & i'm not usually a fan of them on e39's.
M2
520d F11 M Sport Touring
B10 V8 #240
Mini Cooper S convertible
220d M Sport convertible
MGB GT
MG Midget
520d F11 M Sport Touring (sold)
118d F20 M Sport(sold)
118d E87 M Sport(sold)
John Cooper Works (sold)
D3 Touring #183(sold)
M3 3.0 E36 (sold)
523 E39 (sold)
520 E34 Touring (sold)
318IS E36 (sold)

TimC

Post by TimC » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:05 am

blacky wrote:i have a quick shift on mine but it isnt the leaver that is at fault its inside the box i have replaced all the components that arent in the box already & it still has its moments

as above its 5th & 3rd that have issues ie you get 5th when wanting 3rd
Presumably the gearbox is shared with the BMW core range - 528i maybe?

What's your view of the car as seen in the advert Blacky?

blacky
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by blacky » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:01 pm

ye all the 6 cylindr motors have the same manual box caseings so shouldnt be hard to find a replacement

it looks fine in the pics but aslong as your happy with it & it has no issues on road test

if your unsure about the mechanical checks get the aa or rac to check it over for you

TimC

Deposit Paid.

Post by TimC » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Woop.

:D :D :D :D :D :D