B10 V8 head gasket problem

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

battsman

B10 V8 head gasket problem

Post by battsman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:19 pm

:shock:

I am looking to buy a B10 V8 with around 100,000 on the clock.
I have heard that the head gasket can go on these around this sort of mileage.

Has anyone had any issues regarding this and how do i tell if the head gasket is going (white froth around the oil filler cap?)

cheers

beardo

Post by beardo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:36 am

Hi there
I shouldn't worry too much about having a head gasket failure on the V8 engine. It is a very strong engine and will go for an eternity if serviced correctly. I have only ever heard of one B10 V8 that had a serious engine problem and when looking for mine I enquired about loads of cars. If you come across one that has had a head gasket replaced in its life then walk away. There will be a good chance that it will go again. There is always something else that causes the failure. It's never just a case of a faulty gasket. 50% of the time when a head gasket is replaced the route cause of the failure is not found so therefore is not reapaired. Check for oil in the coolant and/or coolant in the oil (which produces the white froth) Some cars suffer emulsification which is condensation getting into the engine and causing the froth around the oil cap. This doesn't mean the gasket has gone and is normal for some cars. But not the V8. Always get someone who knows what they are doing to inspect the car. If you use the AA they are equipped to do a leak test on the head gasket.
I have been a service department manager for a number of years now and have seen the mess a failed head gasket can make. So please don't buy anything that has had a failure in the past. I wouldn't.
Regards
Mark

battsman

Post by battsman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:01 pm

Thanks for the reply, that has put my mind at rest.

Is there anything else that i need to look for?

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:35 pm

One to watch is losing the pixels on the LED display at the bottom of the speedos - seems trivial and most live with it. but if you couldn't and wanted to replace it - a BMW speedo / dash costs c. £350 whereas the ALPINA version is c. £1350 - not so trivial.

beardo

Post by beardo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:45 pm

Not much really to check for over and above what you would normally check. Rust where the boot spoiler is fixed to the boot. Check the instrument pack at the bottom for missing illumination when schrolling the the computer. Make sure there are no warning lights on. SRS light especially. If it is it might be a simple poor connection to the seat belt pretensioner which is a very easy fix and is the most common fault. Just make sure everything works and you won't go far wrong.
Mark

battsman

Post by battsman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:41 pm

Hi,

thanks for the information, it is much appreciated.