theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hoping for an F31 d3 biturbo

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA - Car Advice / Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rcdm1876



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Hoping for an F31 d3 biturbo Reply with quote

Currently in negotiations over an f31 d3 biturbo. Was after melbourne red tourer but next to impossible to get hold of! As a long time fan of alpinas I am just wanting to sense check a few things:-

1) External badges should all be bmw?
2) Alpina and d3 bi turbo badges best bought from sytner nottingham (used to M tax, but heard alpina tax is god awful) Is there any where outwith this to source
3) Had some fun with the two chassis numbers. Best to use alpina engine bay one for parts and the bmw one for dvla?
4) Used to the n57 engine at 313bhp and got 42/43 even with mixed and spirited driving. Ill assume thats pretty doable in these?
5) Told the suspension is alpina specific? Who or what is it?
ie ohlins/ etc. Is it coilover setup? After learning about the standard akropovic I am intrugued.
6) Leather isnt the bmw standard dakota blab? True?

Hopefully land her soon but any inpu welcomed as I have now given up on getting a d5 e61 as only seen two for sale in two years!

Shocked
_________________
Best petrol engine ever: S85 and the best diesel engine ever N57 T1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hap
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 2816
Location: Scunthorpe, North Lincs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any link ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Charles
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 23 Jun 2003
Posts: 6852
Location: Oxford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoping for an F31 d3 biturbo Reply with quote

rcdm1876 wrote:
Currently in negotiations over an f31 d3 biturbo. Was after melbourne red tourer but next to impossible to get hold of! As a long time fan of alpinas I am just wanting to sense check a few things:-

Quote:
1) External badges should all be bmw?
That's how ALPINA ship them

Quote:
2) Alpina and d3 bi turbo badges best bought from sytner nottingham (used to M tax, but heard alpina tax is god awful) Is there any where outwith this to source
Only genuine source is ALPINA via Sytner UK or, if you can find one, a helpful European dealer which bypasses the UK ALPINA tax (as applied by BMW UK) but you will need to supply your ALPINA VIN

Quote:
3) Had some fun with the two chassis numbers. Best to use alpina engine bay one for parts and the bmw one for dvla?
The correct VIN for MOT and V5 is the ALPINA one (WAPB...) as well as for initial chats with BMW dealers, but they sometimes need the BMW one to identify the BMW donor car

Quote:
4) Used to the n57 engine at 313bhp and got 42/43 even with mixed and spirited driving. Ill assume thats pretty doable in these?
Feedback from other owners indicate low to mid 40s mpg is regularly achieved

Quote:
5) Told the suspension is alpina specific? Who or what is it?
ie ohlins/ etc. Is it coilover setup? After learning about the standard akropovic I am intrugued.
Not certain about the actual specification but I am fairly sure the springs and dampers are ALPINA specific

Quote:
6) Leather isnt the bmw standard dakota blab? True?
Depends on how it was specified. Basic leather is Dakota but it might have the expensive Lavalina - if you have ALPINA logos stitched into the seat backs then it will be Lavalina but the only way to check is to access the original build sheet


Hope that helps and I am sure others will be along to clarify and/or expand on these answers
_________________
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order Wink
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rcdm1876



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charles, lots of useful info. Is there a list of how many f31s were or are made plus colours? This ones got the roundels in the seats but again think thats a standard feature? Cheers
_________________
Best petrol engine ever: S85 and the best diesel engine ever N57 T1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 2550
Location: Camberley, Surrey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Melborne Red D3 touring in existance, it came through BCA at blackbushe a while back and a trader bought it and started at a very high price and sold for about 36k i think.

Where it went i don't know it was good spec had 20's sunroof and black leather with red piping and the media package
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Charles
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 23 Jun 2003
Posts: 6852
Location: Oxford

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcdm1876 wrote:
Thanks Charles, lots of useful info. Is there a list of how many f31s were or are made plus colours? This ones got the roundels in the seats but again think thats a standard feature? Cheers

Latest production figures here

If it has roundels in the seats then I believe that it was an option and only available with Lavalina leather
_________________
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order Wink
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raw



Joined: 03 Feb 2016
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a 3 series with N57 and a D3 bi turbo and the Alpina is probably slightly more economical in same runs if anything. Suspension is bilstein I think not Ohlin and looks same design as BMW standard units, alpina use their own spring rate and damping though. Ride is much better than standard kit despite running the bigger wheels as a result.

D3 is great all round car, performance economy and comfort.

What you after? Mine might be up for sale shortly?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Burnham
AL
AL


Joined: 26 Jul 2016
Posts: 134
Location: Isle of Wight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got standard leather and optioned the roundels in the seat back.

In 11,000 miles Ive averaged 40.2mpg with an average speed of 36mph, though the car has never been in eco-mode.

As above, pretty sure the suspension is standard hardware but with different setup. In non-sport mode it rides very well, regardless of the wheels....in fact, my sport mode is set to Drivetrain only, with Chassis kept in its normal setting.
_________________
2016 Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Touring No. 242
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rcdm1876



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raw wrote:
Hi

I have a 3 series with N57 and a D3 bi turbo and the Alpina is probably slightly more economical in same runs if anything. Suspension is bilstein I think not Ohlin and looks same design as BMW standard units, alpina use their own spring rate and damping though. Ride is much better than standard kit despite running the bigger wheels as a result.

D3 is great all round car, performance economy and comfort.

What you after? Mine might be up for sale shortly?


Thanks, useful info. Ideally after a good specd version with decent history and caring ownership, the one im chatting over is white but no graphics Crying or Very sad

What have you got?
_________________
Best petrol engine ever: S85 and the best diesel engine ever N57 T1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Charles
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 23 Jun 2003
Posts: 6852
Location: Oxford

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcdm1876 wrote:
... the one im chatting over is white but no graphics Crying or Very sad

That's an easy fix and shouldn't be seen as a deal breaker
_________________
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order Wink
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA - Car Advice / Information All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group