Hoping for an F31 d3 biturbo

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

rcdm1876

Hoping for an F31 d3 biturbo

Post by rcdm1876 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Currently in negotiations over an f31 d3 biturbo. Was after melbourne red tourer but next to impossible to get hold of! As a long time fan of alpinas I am just wanting to sense check a few things:-

1) External badges should all be bmw?
2) Alpina and d3 bi turbo badges best bought from sytner nottingham (used to M tax, but heard alpina tax is god awful) Is there any where outwith this to source
3) Had some fun with the two chassis numbers. Best to use alpina engine bay one for parts and the bmw one for dvla?
4) Used to the n57 engine at 313bhp and got 42/43 even with mixed and spirited driving. Ill assume thats pretty doable in these?
5) Told the suspension is alpina specific? Who or what is it?
ie ohlins/ etc. Is it coilover setup? After learning about the standard akropovic I am intrugued.
6) Leather isnt the bmw standard dakota blab? True?

Hopefully land her soon but any inpu welcomed as I have now given up on getting a d5 e61 as only seen two for sale in two years!

:shock:
Best petrol engine ever: S85 and the best diesel engine ever N57 T1

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Any link ?

Charles

Re: Hoping for an F31 d3 biturbo

Post by Charles » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:53 pm

rcdm1876 wrote:Currently in negotiations over an f31 d3 biturbo. Was after melbourne red tourer but next to impossible to get hold of! As a long time fan of alpinas I am just wanting to sense check a few things:-
1) External badges should all be bmw?
That's how ALPINA ship them
2) Alpina and d3 bi turbo badges best bought from sytner nottingham (used to M tax, but heard alpina tax is god awful) Is there any where outwith this to source
Only genuine source is ALPINA via Sytner UK or, if you can find one, a helpful European dealer which bypasses the UK ALPINA tax (as applied by BMW UK) but you will need to supply your ALPINA VIN
3) Had some fun with the two chassis numbers. Best to use alpina engine bay one for parts and the bmw one for dvla?
The correct VIN for MOT and V5 is the ALPINA one (WAPB...) as well as for initial chats with BMW dealers, but they sometimes need the BMW one to identify the BMW donor car
4) Used to the n57 engine at 313bhp and got 42/43 even with mixed and spirited driving. Ill assume thats pretty doable in these?
Feedback from other owners indicate low to mid 40s mpg is regularly achieved
5) Told the suspension is alpina specific? Who or what is it?
ie ohlins/ etc. Is it coilover setup? After learning about the standard akropovic I am intrugued.
Not certain about the actual specification but I am fairly sure the springs and dampers are ALPINA specific
6) Leather isnt the bmw standard dakota blab? True?
Depends on how it was specified. Basic leather is Dakota but it might have the expensive Lavalina - if you have ALPINA logos stitched into the seat backs then it will be Lavalina but the only way to check is to access the original build sheet

Hope that helps and I am sure others will be along to clarify and/or expand on these answers
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

rcdm1876

Post by rcdm1876 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Thanks Charles, lots of useful info. Is there a list of how many f31s were or are made plus colours? This ones got the roundels in the seats but again think thats a standard feature? Cheers

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 pm

There is a Melborne Red D3 touring in existance, it came through BCA at blackbushe a while back and a trader bought it and started at a very high price and sold for about 36k i think.

Where it went i don't know it was good spec had 20's sunroof and black leather with red piping and the media package

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 am

rcdm1876 wrote:Thanks Charles, lots of useful info. Is there a list of how many f31s were or are made plus colours? This ones got the roundels in the seats but again think thats a standard feature? Cheers
Latest production figures here

If it has roundels in the seats then I believe that it was an option and only available with Lavalina leather
Charles

raw

Post by raw » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi

I have a 3 series with N57 and a D3 bi turbo and the Alpina is probably slightly more economical in same runs if anything. Suspension is bilstein I think not Ohlin and looks same design as BMW standard units, alpina use their own spring rate and damping though. Ride is much better than standard kit despite running the bigger wheels as a result.

D3 is great all round car, performance economy and comfort.

What you after? Mine might be up for sale shortly?

Burnham
ALP
ALP

Post by Burnham » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 pm

Ive got standard leather and optioned the roundels in the seat back.

In 11,000 miles Ive averaged 40.2mpg with an average speed of 36mph, though the car has never been in eco-mode.

As above, pretty sure the suspension is standard hardware but with different setup. In non-sport mode it rides very well, regardless of the wheels....in fact, my sport mode is set to Drivetrain only, with Chassis kept in its normal setting.
2016 Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Touring No. 242

rcdm1876

Post by rcdm1876 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 am

raw wrote:Hi

I have a 3 series with N57 and a D3 bi turbo and the Alpina is probably slightly more economical in same runs if anything. Suspension is bilstein I think not Ohlin and looks same design as BMW standard units, alpina use their own spring rate and damping though. Ride is much better than standard kit despite running the bigger wheels as a result.

D3 is great all round car, performance economy and comfort.

What you after? Mine might be up for sale shortly?
Thanks, useful info. Ideally after a good specd version with decent history and caring ownership, the one im chatting over is white but no graphics :cry:

What have you got?

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:41 am

rcdm1876 wrote:... the one im chatting over is white but no graphics :cry:
That's an easy fix and shouldn't be seen as a deal breaker
Charles