B10 V8S advice on brakes and cooling

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

B10 V8S advice on brakes and cooling

Post by JASV8S » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi Guys, Been out of commission for quite a while due to serious illness but now back and recovered enough to get the Alpina off SORN and back on the road but a few jobs needing attention and need some guidance.

1. Rear brakes are these standard 540 items? Looking at Eurocarparts Brembo discs and pads.

2. Front brakes, I have been involved in quite a few threads on this but have found this site and wondered if anyone has experience of them. Prices seem better than UK sourced. http://www.fmw-tuning.de/bmw/5er-e39/al ... 0-v8s.html

3. Water pump is this also a standard 540 item and what is the recommended coolant brand/mix etc. Best source for a new pump.

4. I remember someone else recommended another small job being done at the same time as the water pump replacement but I can't remember what it was.

5. Headlight adjuster in driver's side wheel well is jammed solid. Appears easy enough to replace but are they easy to get?

6. Leaking hoses leading from power steering reservoir. Are these easy to replace or best left to Indy. Might be able to shorten them as a first try but not sure on success rate of that.

Once all this is done it will be ready for its Insp.2 and MOT.

Thanks
John
John
Alpina Blue B10 V8S #54 Saloon
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Sparkling Bronze F30 Xdrive (sold)
Titan Silver E90 325iSE (sold)
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi John

Firstly, sorry to hear you've not ben well and wish you full health, nothing more important than our health.

My thoughts:

1. Rear brakes are these standard 540 items? Looking at Eurocarparts Brembo discs and pads.
Standard 540 parts

2. Front brakes, I have been involved in quite a few threads on this but have found this site and wondered if anyone has experience of them. Prices seem better than UK sourced. http://www.fmw-tuning.de/bmw/5er-e39/al ... 0-v8s.html
Yes, the best option. Several forum members have bought from Frank and are happy.

3. Water pump is this also a standard 540 item and what is the recommended coolant brand/mix etc. Best source for a new pump.
Standard 540 part. BMW coolant.

4. I remember someone else recommended another small job being done at the same time as the water pump replacement but I can't remember what it was.
No idea

5. Headlight adjuster in driver's side wheel well is jammed solid. Appears easy enough to replace but are they easy to get?
Not sure what you mean? The adjusters are within the headlamp unit?

6. Leaking hoses leading from power steering reservoir. Are these easy to replace or best left to Indy. Might be able to shorten them as a first try but not sure on success rate of that.
Worth trying the hose shortening method. I did on mine and while it improved it wasn't enough, so replaced the hoses and reservoir. Reasonably easy DIY, but I used a garage.
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet

jamesa
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jamesa » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Thermostat / Expansion Tank / Drive Belt / Timing Chain Tensioner ... ?

Are they actually leaking, mine used to `sweat`... with no loss of reservoir level
Ex. B10 V8 Touring #160 Alpina Blue : Current M2 DCT (OG)

brett
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by brett » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi john

I bought pads and sensor from frank , superb service delivered in 8 days
sent me 2 sensors, so pm me and I will post you a spare
brett

E39 V8s (043)

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi Metrics

Thanks for the kind words and I am recovering well. Thanks also for this info all good and I will probably take a similar path using a garage for some work as I need to get an inspection 2 done and also coolant and brake fluid changes so might as well roll these together.

I think the headlight adjuster I am referring to is possibly the levelling unit that attaches to the suspension in the wheel arch. Small black box with a lever attached. Mines appears to be seized.

Thanks again,
John
John
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi jamesa,

I am sure it was the tensioner I was thinking about but sensible advice on the other things.

Also i think my power steering might be more than sweating. Although I am not losing much fluid from the reservoir the under tray look pretty damp with fluid.

Thanks
John
John
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)

JASV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by JASV8S » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi Brett

That's good news about Frank's site. I came across it a wee while back and thought it was too good to be true with the range of Alpina stuff especially V8S bits. Although I was thinking that the front brakes cost is probably more than all the discs and pads I have replaced added together and there have been quite a few. Anyway to buy an Alipna you have to be all in !!!

Thanks
John
John
Montreal Red F20 M-Sport
Blue Mini Cooper (sold)

164 coupe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by 164 coupe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi John

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery and good to see you active on the forum again.

How's progress with getting the "S" back on the road?

Roy.
Roy Allan
F31 D3 Biturbo #066
D3 BT Coupe #164 (sold)
Suzuki SV 650s