Private plate help needed - Urgent

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Private plate help needed - Urgent

Post by hap » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:15 am

not alpina related so apologies, my dad has bought 63 plate car from a dealer, picking up tomorrow
he has bought a private reg and the certificate has been received with the 80 pound assignment fee already paid when he bought the plate.
he would like this on the car asap, I think you can submit the filled in paperwork for the new plate with the v5 when he picks it up, obviously he needs to tax and insure the car. do you need to send the MOT with it?
I assume the V5 will come back on the private reg, together with an amended mot certificate showing the new private reg.

it has been years since I did this, wondered if any owners have done it recently and what do we need to do.
any help appreciated

cheers

Hector's Dad
ALP
ALP

Post by Hector's Dad » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 am

I've not done that exact procedure but you can do most things online now.

I took a private plate off my car and was given the replacement registration immediately together with the necessary form to get the new plates made up. I also had the document to assign the private plate to a new vehicle although a hard copy was sent in the post later.

The MOT wasn't mentioned - I assume that the DVLA just noted that my old car which had the MOT under the private plate now had a different plate. I passed on the MOT with the "wrong" registration on it without issue.

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 am

^^ this

All online and pretty much instant. The V5 will arrive in teh post with 5 days. MOT is automatically updated on the database (no new paperwork will be issues on the MOT).
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet

Broch
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Broch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Yes, it's all done online.
I did the X3 last month online, then went straight into the garage and changed the plates over there and then.
No need to wait for the new V5 in the post, although it arrived within a couple of days.
MOT's are all online now. What the garage gives you isn't classed as an MOT, just a verification that they carried one out.

All that is required iirc is the Document Referance Number from the current V5
B6 Convertible
B3s Bi-Turbo Tourer

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:17 pm

So what about the v5 to send off from the garage do I send that on its own?
Then go online with the private plate form

AG
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by AG » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:14 pm

We have just done this. The V5 gets sorted automatically and the mot/tax status gets adjusted, you receive a new V5 within 14 days but you don't have to do anything with the mots etc.

Basically go online, do what it asks and once done it gives you the option of printing the new plate certificate that allows you to have the new plates made up. Or you can wait for the new V5 to arrive then go and have the plates made up.

Oh and the online service is not available weekends, it was a mid week service.

https://www.gov.uk/put-registration-number-vehicle
Former BMW CC 7 register chairman

2000 e39 B10 V8 Touring
1985 e23 B10 (sold)
1995 B3 saloon switchtronic (sold)

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks a lot guys