B3 3.2 Touring No.36 Bodywork time, 13 style

Thought we'd tempt out our budding photographers. Share your photos. We'll add different themes from time to time.
simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:39 pm

All tourings need roof rails. I've took a deposit on her and shes looking sold for the new e34 project i hope and a trim up of all the cars i have

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 am

Well thats an end of a era, no.36 went off tonight to its new owner after nearly 6 years in my ownership

I gave a her a quick wash last night and took a few final snaps

I took her to work today for one final drive also, shes been the bestest!

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Nooooo! I wanted her so badly, never knew you were selling up again!

Oh well, be sure to get the new owner up on here so the 3 Touring owners can keep in touch!
1995 E36 B3.0 Convertible (rebodied)
1996 E36 B3.2 Touring No:20 - 1 of 5 made
1997 E36 B3.2 Touring No:36 - 1 of 5 made
1999 E36 323 Sport Touring
2011 E92 D3 Bi-turbo no.246 (santorini blue)
2019 Fiat Fullback
2020 Mini Countryman SE (PHEV)
Alpina, BMW and Detailing Enthusiast

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Its gone to an E36 man, its gone down Southampton way

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Is he on here by any chance? You need to get him on here so we can see no.36 continuing to evolve!
2019 Fiat Fullback

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Well, you never know what comes your way... I bought no.36!

So now i have No.20, No.36 and a B3 3.0L Rebodied Convertible.

I picked it up on Saturday from a very nice chap called Martyn, whom Simon sold it to. He decided against keeping it due to a very short commute meaning that the car would never get warm. This would cause long term damage to an engine with already a huge amount of miles on it. He is more of a VW man anyways, so i think the transaction suited us both. He was happy that the car was going to some one in the Alpina family, rather than being turned in to a drifter or something worse.

So here she is when i picked her up:

Keen eyed viewers will see that the Alpina badges are back on, not sure if in the right place, but they look good where they are.

Here's the number of miles she's done upon pick up:

My finger is on the trip reset as the Milometer is playing up a little, may need the solder reflowing, but i'll get to that later. Pushing the trip reset keeps all the pixels showing! It seems to warm up after 5 or so minutes of driving and then all is well.

So on the way back, i picked up a few bits that were still with Simon, and dropped his spare back off. Here she is back on the driveway where she had her resurrection! Holy Ground! ¬/-

Look what happened on the way back home!! :shock: :shock:

So back home, and its Sunday morning. Where do i start??? Looks like i am seeing double!

So there were a few bits i had to bring home, like the autobox! Weigh's a tonne! It probbaly costs 5 mpg to carry it around and 5 mpg to run that box! Anyway, as i started going through the car, i found the broken 3.2 badge from the engine cover, so i thought i'd break myself in gently. Whilst reading this, you all have to bear in mind that at 250k miles, there have been a lot of heat cycles in the engine bay, a lot of wear on the mechanical's and interior, so what looks easy isn't! Huge testimony to all of Simon's dedication and skill, this car won't be easy to work on at all!

Here's the bits of the badge:

My philosophy for this car is to repair rather than to replace where possible, unless its a wear and tear part. Its all about the patina with this car IMO.

Pushed the two bits back together and it looks good. Keen viewers will also notice there is a bit missing, not much i can do about that!

I was watching some stuff on youtube, and cam across a biker dude showing how to plastic weld. so i thought'd i'd give it a go.

Here's a bit of tape holding it together whilst i welded the outer parts of the badge.

Now held together (tacked) so now i can weld the rest.

bit more welding:

Now its actually supported by itself:

The video showed how to use cable tie cut off's to add material for strength, so i gave it a go:

Done:

Alignment is still good:

Engine bay showing the badge missing:

So now to the fitting of the badge in to the engine cover. Alpina basically had the badge made, cut a hole in the standard 328 cover and glued it in. So i am doing just that.
Cover removed:

Underside showing where it cam off, looks like the glue just gave up overtime and the plastic went brittle:

Test fitted:

Can see here where the ridges form the alignment, so i will re-use this:

Glued the way Alpina did it!

2019 Fiat Fullback

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:54 pm

So on to the boot area, after all its what Touring are all about! As mentioned before, the car came with a whole host of goodies, in other words, its history.

So after all that was emptied, this is what was left:

There was one of these boot liners in the car, not the one Simon left in it as apparently it was beyond saving, but Martyn bought another. I had considered one of these in the past of No.20, but the seller at the time was just plain awkward. So i gave up on it and never looked for one again. Its a rigid liner, but just about flexible enough to remove and place. Quite cumbersome though, so not sure if i will use it or not.

Liner removed, here is a picture of what was underneath. Beige trim is back in, but the floor is till Black. Simon tells me he still has it, so as an when our path's cross in person, i will replace it back to Beige. Notice the ICE wiring. This needs looking at as Martyn has put a different head unit in it, and only the front speakers work, but the amp has power and so does this wiring. It is for the subwoofer, but that didn't come with the car.

Boot floor raised, and this is what was underneath: So OCD kicked in and off i went to clean it!

The fore mentioned Amp:

The first time i have bought an E36, bear in mind i have had around 30 of them, and the battery is not only clamped the way it should be, but is actually the right size for the car! Well done Simon!!
:clap: :clap:

As i knew i was buying this a few weeks ago, i invested in a couple of the Ctek comfort chargers. Namely because i finally fitted the one that came with it to no.20 and broke off the rings as they were 6mm not 8mm, so i made sure i bought the right ones. They were super cheap for some reason at £7 posted, so i bought a couple. Has a traffic light system on it for battery health, so is a good indicator to have to keep the battery in good health. As soon as i plugged in the lead, it showed red, so the battery was in need of a recon, so thats exactly what it got.

Back to the boot, spare wheel well. Boot floor removed:

Quick hoover and there was a lot of ingrained debris:

Quick APC spray, brush up and damp cloth rinse was the process used:

Done:

Spare wheel liner, same sort of condition:

Same process used:

Coat of 303:

Spare wheel, excho what Simon said at the beginning of this thread, £40k car and you still get the shi**y basic spare wheel from an early 90's 325 se. Mad! Needed a good clean up, but was still the original wheel and Tyre. Had been fitted at some point but done no noticeable miles.

Good clean with APC first, then Autofinesse Imperial Wheel cleaner. It will do for now and can do a better job when the show season starts next year.

Tyre treated with Autofinesse Satin Creme:

Back in the car:

Wheel liner refitted:

Will see if i can do the boot floor and side trim's tonight, but daylight is rapidly diminishing and clocks go back this weekend, so not sure how much progress will get done!
2019 Fiat Fullback

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Great story shaziman
2 Boston green 3.2 hat off to ya

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:02 pm

hap wrote:Great story shaziman
2 Boston green 3.2 hat off to ya
Do it just for the love Hap!
2019 Fiat Fullback

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Wow Shaziman, that's commitment! Congrats!

Which glue did you use on the rocker cover badge? Just wondered based on exposure to heat.
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:15 am

Metrics wrote:Wow Shaziman, that's commitment! Congrats!

Which glue did you use on the rocker cover badge? Just wondered based on exposure to heat.
I used a standard epoxy based contact adhesive. It cures more and more with heat, it shouldn't fall off, may last a few years but thats probably all it needs!

Here it is after an overnight cure with some weight on it to keep it in place:

The exposed side, doesn't look too bad with the piece missing, hoping i will find that somewhere in the car and then i can finish the job properly.

Refitted in the engine bay:

On to a bit more boot area cleaning, there was a lot of debris in the boot lock and under the boot slam panel trim, for want of a better description, so out it came for a clean. This is the boot latch

Poor picture, but this is the rubber strip under the same area, but on top of the bumper. 50:50 shot

Cleaned and refitted:

Didn't get much done last night due to some issues going on with the neighbours, lots of chatting but no progress! after this i set up my LED light to carry on in to the evening, but i was faced with this oil/grease stain and the boot trim on the wrong way round, so i gave up and went in. It was already late anyway by this point, so i will tackle this tonight.

2019 Fiat Fullback

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:12 pm

it wasn't like that when i left it!! thats them stupid coilovers they had fitted on it. Let the de buildering work commence!!

RE stereo. i Never played with it much. It had a sony DAB in it which i never got going again after i had the winscreen done.

Who ever fitted it all removed all the original speakers as far as i could tell. And the mids in the doors weren't wired up. So i did that to get them working. It needed the sub to make it all sound ok. It was all a bit knacked TBH and that would of been a next job to find the original spec amp and speakers

My dad repaired the 3.2 badge but it came away after a few years

shaziman
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by shaziman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:00 pm

I don't like to comment on things like that as you never know who's done what, it's kinda like each to themselves!

I've got the Sony radio, normally I don't like Sony ones, and I've got my Pioneer DAB one to fit. There is a Pioneer one in there, but not sure how good it is. Will see once I sort the speakers out as I have a feeling it's going to be a minefield! Good job I used to be an audio fitter in my college days!

3.2 badge wise, not surprised, it's not Alpina's best idea to do what they have done, but then again I suppose they never expected the cars to go so far either!

Done a bit tonight, pics in the morning!
2019 Fiat Fullback

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:00 am

shaziman wrote:3.2 badge wise, not surprised, it's not Alpina's best idea to do what they have done, but then again I suppose they never expected the cars to go so far either!
Lost the 3.4 badge on mine at about 200k miles!

Couldn't find it anywhere so replaced the whole cover - just don't ask the price ...
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:00 am

Charles wrote:
shaziman wrote:3.2 badge wise, not surprised, it's not Alpina's best idea to do what they have done, but then again I suppose they never expected the cars to go so far either!
Lost the 3.4 badge on mine at about 200k miles!

Couldn't find it anywhere so replaced the whole cover - just don't ask the price ...
my 3.4 one is coming loose also