From 2019 all Volvo cars will have a electric motor

Place to talk about Fast cars in general

Moderator: neil

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

From 2019 all Volvo cars will have a electric motor

Post by nealpina » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:46 pm

As was asked at the recent ALPINA meet from Charles to Andreas Schneider - no plans for a hybrid ALPINA yet

However thoughts:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ybrid-2019.
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic

Broch
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Broch » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:15 pm

I sat next to Andreas Bovensiepen at the meal last Thursday prior to the Drive Day and I asked him the question regarding an electric car made by Alpina.
He told me that he had sat behind a full electric car for approx 40km on the autobahn once to watch how the driver reacted in traffic.
He answered that the driver took a very long time to overtake a lorry ahead, and did it very carefully and smoothly.
Andreas said that if Alpina sold an electric car, the owners would be back after 3 days asking for their money back.
Yes they would show the family and friends how fast it was off the line, but after that they would be conserving power till their next charging point.
The batteries are too heavy, and not enough range yet. Maybe in a few years time but not now, was the bottom line he told us.

He did mention that a diesel hybrid may be worth looking into. With the engine doing it's job out in the countryside, whilst the electric motor was used in the cities for 30-40km range. But again the current batteries were too heavy with the range being a limiting factor also......... but you never know :wink:

Onzie
B6 Convertible
B3s Bi-Turbo Tourer

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Cheers that’s an interesting response from Andreas Bovensiepen

I find it interesting that a diesel hybrid was mentioned because of the toxic emissions and the shift is towards cleaner cars – meaning petrol hybrid is cleaner. Also WAG have said no more diesel car sales after 2025.

However not being ALPINA specific and just general. I think as soon as the experts crack the technology in batteries to improve the range and to be lighter then car manufactures will be making hybrids or pure electric cars.

Not sure how true it is but I read. That soon electric cars will have enough energy storage, and after a long drive will have enough energy to power a house for the night.
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic