Alpina D3 BT Touring Number 44

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

stubert

Alpina D3 BT Touring Number 44

Post by stubert » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:28 pm

Evening all

I've put a deposit down on a Bluewater Metallic D3 BT Touring.
I'm coming from an E91 320d so I'm fairly familiar with the cars, but is there anything I should look for specifically?
It's got the performance steering wheel and full leather. It's got alcantara dash inserts and centre column, something I haven't seen on another one. Was this an optional extra or something we think was done aftermarket? On the options list for the car it seems to be noted as having silver inserts.
The only other notable option is cruise.

It doesn't have dual zone climate, can this be retrofitted?

Things I'll be looking for -

Timing chain noise
Whels being cracked/in general good condition
Rear de-mister working

It's got a great service history, all with Sytner Nottingham. Brakes were done all round within the last year. It's got plenty tread on all 4 Goodyear Eagles.
Really hoping it's as goood as it seems. I'm traavelling a long way for it. So any and all advice is apppreciated.

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:40 pm

Don't know much on d3 but I would say the leather interior and insets are retro on basis it's got a short shift mod minus the Alpina gear knob
Nice car but been messed with
Also if it's James Paul Lots of mixed bag reviews and prices are quite high

stubert

Post by stubert » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:03 am

Spoke to them a lot this week before putting a deposit on it. It's the James Paul's owners wife's old car. He insists everything is "standard". The car shows up as having been registered on the Alpina register, presumably by the original owner.
I'm not adverse to a few choice modifications, as long as they are done to a high standard. The non-oem gear knob did raise an eye brow and I'll be looking for a standard item if I buy the car.
James Paul may have a colourful reputation, but I've never bought from an independent trader that didn't have some bad press. Their stock list certainly looks good and they are clearly turning over a good amount of cars.

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:13 am

Yes there stock list is always very good. It is just a shame you cant say the same about there customer service. They are also very well known for not carrying out promised work pre-delivery. So if you do buy make sure any agreed work is carried out before you make the journey to collect.
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:17 am

There is this one that you may have considered space grey privacy glass?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 679?desc=1
So this seems expensive to JP one
They archive shows the JP one to have silver inserts and part leather which the vast majority of d3 came with I do like the number plate if that comes with the car however
Thanks

stubert

Post by stubert » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks, hap.
Can you post the link where you saw the info showing part leather and silver inserts please. Like I said I found the car on the register but it only stated the colour.
Assuming what you say is correct, which I don't doubt, I'll be asking for lots of pictures of the dash inserts and the seats.
I found pictures of the car from before the James Paul owner had it. The pictures were from Sytner Nottingham selling it, but the advert couldn't be found. At that time the car was as it is now, which gives me some comfort that the changes have been done to a good standard.

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:56 am

http://www.alpina-archive.com/?p=7256&n ... ouring-044
You can enlarge the images and it does state it was part cloth,part leather

From memory when alpina came into diesel uk mkt most d3 were quite standard spec to attract drivers like you in rhd the touring is rare but overall units worldwide is just over 500 produced

stubert

Post by stubert » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Spoke to one of the previous owners today. Mega fine gent. He tells me he had the interior changed to full leather by Sytner Nottingham and the dash inserts covered in alcantara. The gear stick was changed to BMW Perfomance item to shorten the throw and an original had be put in the boot in the hope he next owner could get use of it. I guess it'll be long gone now.
All in all I'm feeling a lot better about the car. Collecting on 14th (assuming all is in order) so I'll report back then.
Thanks for he info guys.

Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Metrics » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Good luck with the car, sounds nice having the full leather and Alcantara trim on the dash, Bluewater is also a nice colour.

In terms of your original question, I'd be looking for a flawless service record as the N47 engine has some weakness on the timing chain front as you are aware.

Also check over the suspension, as dampers start leaking and way before that start to lose performance.

How many miles has it done?
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo No.299
2012 F10 D5 Biturbo No.13
1993 Mercedes 190E 2.6 Sportline spec
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:27 pm

79k approx
I'd say suspension check springs can't be certain if they are Alpina or bmw on the biturbo
Good to hear corroborative evidence the interior n trim hopefully be an invoice in the paper work

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:39 pm

And possibly another owner from the beautiful place called Scotland.
B3 E46 no.265

stubert

Post by stubert » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks all.
Servicing has always been Sytner Nottingham bar one. Having spoken to one previous owner, he says it's had all new rear suspension during his ownership due to not being happy with it. Has had all new brake flexis too.
I'm hoping it's all I've been looking for. Certainly seems it st the moment.