theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not quite this week, but I thought you might be interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> This week I will be mainly driving....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicb5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Not quite this week, but I thought you might be interested. Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to test drive the Tesla Model S, so I took the B5 (E60) out to have a direct comparison.
There were 2 models 85D and P85D with insane mode.
First I listened to their explanation, which included the 700kg battery pack (!), then I went for a drive in the 85D. I commented that the acceleration seems to drop off rapidly above 80-100km/h, so they took me out in the P85D, and switched it to insane mode. This time the initial start is unbelievable – you could get whiplash – then after the initial push I had the same feeling that the acceleration was dropping off quickly, and was accelerating less than my B5.

So, I wanted to understand
- Is it just a feeling (ie the reduced acceleration was relative to the very high initial acceleration)
- Is it due to no shifts (with automatic or manual gears the body has a change in acceleration that “resets” your feeling of acceleration), or
- Is it for real.

The first article that helped me understand it was a Consumer Reports comparison of the Hellcat and a Tesla. This shows the Hellcat has faster acceleration at higher speed, even if the starting acceleration is lower.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/07/tesla-model-s-p85d-vs-dodge-challenger-hellcat-video/index.htm

I then cross checked this against a few drag times results (accel graphs) which also showed around 1g for the first second – impressive stuff.
http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/tesla-model-s-p85d-insane-vs-sport
So, why might a 650 HP car feel slower than a 500 HP car ?

First looking at the weight and the power to weight ratio, the figures I could find are

So the B5 only loses 3% by this measure

Next acceleration times I could find
Alpina B5 Tesla S P85D
0-100 4.7 3.6
0-160 9.5 8.6
0-200 14.5 14.6
100-160 4.8 5.0
100-200 9.8 11.0
So the B5 does actually measure faster than the Tesla above 100km/h, but this must mean the Tesla does not continue to develop 100% of its power at higher speeds, or cannot deliver the full power for this length of time
For the record, here are some graphs I prepared to help understand the situation (based on the quoted power outputs and gearing and no losses).

However after some thought – why do I need a car that is faster in 100-200 acceleration, ie how often do I use it (since Germany is 1.5 hours away it can be used).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> This week I will be mainly driving.... All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: