Here is my e46 B3 convertible

Thought we'd tempt out our budding photographers. Share your photos. We'll add different themes from time to time.
sheriff
A
A

Here is my e46 B3 convertible

Post by sheriff » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:46 pm

Here is my recently purchased 2002, silverstone blue B3. 1 previous owner, 126k miles with full BMW history. Sytner have looked after this from day one, inc all work carried out from all MOTs etc, stacks of history. This car has never wanted for anything, and it's shows when you drive it. The previous owner traded it in for a new X5 M sport.

Lots of extras inc electric lumber, sat nav, iPod connection in glove box, blah blah.....

Since I bought it, I've had the wheels refurbished, although they weren't bad at all. The calipers were done at the same time, standard silver. Also new centre badges to replace tired looking ones. I spent a good few days detailing it, oh, and replaced the slightly yellowing side repeaters.

It's a lovely car. Having said all that, I'm considering moving it on, already. The only problem I have with the car, is the seats. The thing I, they are more padded our than standard M sport seats, and being very tall, it really makes a difference. I should have really studied this more when I originally viewed the car, but I guess I messed up. Don't get me wrong, it's not a massive difference, but after sitting in another M3 (like my old convertible) last week, it felt much better.

I've tried to search for a pair of grey convertible M seats, but having no luck. I'd even buy a different colour if any out there - and have them re-coloured. But, I just can't source any. So, replacement seats, or change for another e46 M3 vert. Crazy, isn't it. Other tall drivers with empathise!

Anyway, pics.........

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:44 am

That is such a beautiful car and it would be a great shame if you had to sell it. you would be hard pressed to find another as good as that.

I am not into convertibles myself, but that car could almost change my mind. So tempting :?

Did you ever manage to get the service books and missing key? Also did you manage to get something the right colour to touch up your leather?
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)

Hodge
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Hodge » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:19 am

That does look very nice in that combination, congratulations to you, and what you might call "clean"😀

Cheers
Mark Hodge

E46 B3s Coupe #19 (sold)
E46 B3s Touring #29 (sold)
Daily -
TTS DSG (Not for carrying dogs)
X5 M50d (For carrying dogs)
VW R32 MkIV (weekends)

sheriff
A
A

Post by sheriff » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:07 am

Thanks MCB and Hodge. It's definitely a clean one. If I keep it (if seats are sourced) my aim is to get it perfect.

MCB, the former owner did contact me. Unfortunately she couldn't find anything, but has my details in case/when she does. I've since spoken to Sytner Wycombe, who are more than happy to get a copy service book fully stamped up. I just need my log book to come back so I can buy the book! No spare key, will probably end up getting a copy made.

Haven't got round to sorting the touch up for leather yet, it's not that bad, but I'm fussy. It's on the list!

Jervint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Jervint » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:09 pm

The E46 has always been a pig for tall drivers. It's also due to the poor seating position. If you put it on the floor you'll be comfy but have zero visibility and getting in and out is a real chore.

The newer BMs are much better for it. The E87 1 series and new 2 series are roomier and more comfy, fine even for me...I'm glad it's an issue they've got round to addressing after 30 years!

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:14 pm

It is good to hear that you intend to keep the car. With a car that good I would not see the seats as a problem to be honest. If you took the car to the guy we used for the B3 then I know he could sort the problem by changing the seat cushion foam so that it lowers the seating position to your liking. There must be people that can do that where you live, and for a lot cheaper than changing your seats!

Here is another company near us that can do amazing work on damaged and worn seats. Finding a place like this near you would solve the problem of the bits of damage that you have. Watch the videos so that you can see what can be done to your car.

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/l ... repair.htm

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/p ... 01-vid.htm

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/b ... ng-db7.htm

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/l ... ir-vid.htm

Good news about the service book. Once you have got the new one it will bring your history file up to date. The key is no big problem, because as you have said, you can just get another cut. But make sure that you do. If you don't then you will have major problems if you lose the only key that you have.

Keep us updated on how you are getting along with the car. Also please post more pictures. Your car is just beautiful and amazing to look at :P
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)

sheriff
A
A

Post by sheriff » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Jervint, at last someone who understands! I found my m3 ok actually, there must be a fair bit of extra padding in these fat seats, could also be to do with the lumber mechanism.

MCB, thanks as always for the positive comments :wink:

That place in Chelmsford look great, I wish it was near we to me. When I visited a place near me, he suggested I buy an m3 seat, and he would re-cover it for me for about £800!

There seems no cheap option, unless a silver/grey pair of m3 vert seats appear on ebay for a decent price!

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:34 pm

I can recognise your problems, I too had a B3S cab for a while and being rather tall could not really get comfortable. I did not own it for very long :(
The seats on BMWs vary considerably, the ones in my B10 V8 were brilliant I could get exactly the seating position I wanted.
When the E60 came out, I tried the seating in the B5, I found that even though it was larger than the E39 I could not put the seats back far enough.

I was able to put back the seats back further in the E92 B3 and B3S I had, and were quite comfortable.

Went back to a 5 series as I wanted four doors, but again in the B5 Bi Turbo I could not get the seats to go back as far as I wanted.

That was one of the reasons I moved on to my current Alpina.

Even though the B4 Bi Turbo is smaller the seats go back further than even I require, these I have found are the most comfortable seats in any Alpina I have owned :D

rc944
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rc944 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:35 pm

looks great... even wearing the correct rubber!

i got my spare key done at wycombe... costs more than it should be certainly less than what the ballache would cost should you ever need it and not have it!
Porsche 997.1 GT3 CS I Alpina E46 B3s Coupe I Alpina E46 B3 3.3 Touring I Ducati 749S Mono I Ducati 748R I Ducati 749 Track Bike I Ducati 916S

rc944
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rc944 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:37 pm

if not already done so then head over to m3 cutters... theres loads of m3s being broken each week id be really surprised if you cant find something decent
Porsche 997.1 GT3 CS I Alpina E46 B3s Coupe I Alpina E46 B3 3.3 Touring I Ducati 749S Mono I Ducati 748R I Ducati 749 Track Bike I Ducati 916S

sheriff
A
A

Post by sheriff » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:01 pm

B10BRW, see, I'm not imagining it! Interesting how the smaller modern cars are so good for taller drivers.

Rc944, cheers- yes I'm always on the Cutters site keeping my eye out. I know what will happen, I'll sell up, then someone nearby will be selling a cheap set of silver grey sport seats! :roll:

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Up for sale I presume u didn't sort the seats out sherif?

sheriff
A
A

Post by sheriff » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:34 pm

I did buy some seats- just selling to fund a new machine in work. I'll have another one day! :wink: