D3 or B3

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Jonnywishbone
ALP
ALP

D3 or B3

Post by Jonnywishbone » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi all,

I had decided that I was going to pull the trigger on a new F30 D3 next year, as an upgrade on my Z4 coupe in anticipation of expanding my family. However the recent news about the EU making a fuss about diesel emissions has made me reconsider whether it might be worth forking out a few K more for a B3.

I only do about 6000 miles p/a so if you go by the official fuel consumption figures (I know, I know!) the B3 would cost me about £500 more p/a which doesn't bother me. Obviously the B3 has a more pleasing sound though I'm not really bothered about aural characteristics either. I have test driven a D3 and it's a fabulous machine inside and out and goes like it was developed by NASA. My questions are:

1) is there likely to be a substantial real world difference in performance between the two cars?
2) is a B3 likely to incur greater servicing (or other non-fuel) costs?
3) any ideas how close the B3 comes to the claimed mpg in the real world?
4) are there any other reasons you might volunteer besides what's mentioned above to choose one car over the other?

Thanks for tolerating this presentation of a very first world dilemma.

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 am

just how can you not be bothered about the noise difference between the two?! Shame on you! Petrol every time but a 6 cylinder diesel isn't bad on the ears i'll admit.

On the whole the petrol models of recent bmws seem to last better problem wise in older age than the diesels. Or problems of less severity

GuyW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by GuyW » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Not much difference in real world performance. Diesel will feel quicker over the early part of the rev range, and therefore feels like a huge V8, but doesn't get faster when you extend it. B3 is the opposite, so depends how you drive.

On fuel consumptions, Steve Sutcliffe at Autocar is getting between 40 & 45 mpg from his D3. If your journys are short, then both cars are much more thirsty while warming up or used around town. I get about 30mpg on short runs in town in the D5. Expect 20mpg in a B3. On the open road, B3 will be high 20s, and D3 low 40s.

Servicing costs will be very similar, although my D5 is going a huge distance between needing servicing!!

The EU changes on diesels is more likely to affect residuals than impact you.
Alpina D3 BT #232 (sod 2017)
Alpina D5 BT #021 (sold 2015)
Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Coupe #087 (sold 2010)

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Nice position to be in and given your choice I'd personally go with the B3
Its the feel of the petrol engine revving beyond 7k rpm that does it for me.
Yes I know you get more torque out of the D3 than the B3 but it is still a dull derv machine.
Petrol in an engine brings a car alive for me when you go on a spirited drive and ring its neck approaching the rev limiter and double de clutching down the gears (when you have a manual box) Modern ones probably blip the throttle for you on the downchange. The D3 makes more sense financially but it is the more conservative choice .

It will all come down to what you want out of the car in the end
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

Jonnywishbone
ALP
ALP

Post by Jonnywishbone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:59 pm

Interesting thoughts Guy. I love my Z4 but to get the most out of it you have to wring its neck and really rev the thing because there's not much in the way of torque but plenty of HP. I feel a bit self conscious revving the engine so tend to drive it conservatively. Perhaps the D3 is a bit more suited to me in that regard. Certainly the whole stealthy, understated power thing attracted me towards the brand in the first place.

Having said that, if the only substantial difference in cost is fuel (I know VED and possibly insurance will be higher) then I'm leaning towards the B3. Are servicing costs in the same ballpark as the 335i on which it's based? Would residuals be expected to be better or worse for petrol or diesel?

Thanks for the replies so far.

GuyW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by GuyW » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:18 pm

The B3 is certainly not a 'rev the bollocks off it' car because it is forced induction and tuned for high torque. In fact the B3 is 600Nm and the D3 is 700Nm, so both are huge torque for the engine (B3 is 50Nm more than the M3).

As such you can move really quickly in the B3 without thrashing it.

D3 is about 50% more fuel efficient, but on low mileage that isn't really a factor. Residuals are always an issue when buying an Alpina from new, and the D3 is likely to fair better, as the B3 has the M3 as an alternative.
Alpina D3 BT #232 (sod 2017)
Alpina D5 BT #021 (sold 2015)
Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Coupe #087 (sold 2010)

190Colditz
ALP
ALP

Post by 190Colditz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:01 pm

B3.

End of.
@190Colditz
B5 BiTurbo Touring Nr15 (The Gorilla - sold)
B10 3.3 Touring Nr51 (Die Schreibmaschine - sold)
Mini Cooper 2015 (local trips)
E46 323iSE runabout (died)
BMW S1000RR (The Rocketship) (Stolen! :evil:)
NSR250 MC21

alpinaBT
ALP
ALP

Post by alpinaBT » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:59 pm

B3 all day every day, no point paying excess of £45,000 and getting a diesel car when you can buy the proper thing for few grand extra.
Petrol is a lot faster, whether its in a straight line or on a track.
You may pay a little more for fuel when it comes to a petrol but the diesel is not a sports car, its made to be economical. Id buy a standard 335i over a D3 purely because of the sound.
In my opinion there's no point buying a fast sports car which is a diesel, it don't make sense :roll:

Elan
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Elan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Another vote for B3.
Current Collection:
F30 B3 BiTurbo #133, C2 2.7 #515, B3 3.3 Touring #113
E46 M3 manual, E92 M3 manual
Porsche 997.1 Turbo Manual, 997 GTS, 996 C4S, 911SC Targa
Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale
Lamborghini LP560-4 Manual

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:51 pm

If you are buying privately then think about the possible resale issues of a D3 if the EU do impose the next generation of diesel emission regulations.

And if you want to be kinder on the environment - in real terms and not the silly g/km figures quoted - then go for the B3. The crap that gets thrown out of a diesel car is the reason why the EU are planning the changes that they are. Far too much NOx still and the soot particles that escape the DPF are horrendous on the respiratory system

B3 for me if I had this choice - with a Touring body for extra flexibility and rarity :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Jonnywishbone
ALP
ALP

Post by Jonnywishbone » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:37 pm

B3 seems to be the popular choice!

Would I be right in saying that the cars are basically the same mechanically apart from the engine? I test drove a D3 from Sytner Harold Wood but would I be correct in assuming I'd need to schlep up to Nottingham for a date with Matt Stripling to test the B3?

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Jonnywishbone wrote:B3 seems to be the popular choice!

Would I be right in saying that the cars are basically the same mechanically apart from the engine? I test drove a D3 from Sytner Harold Wood but would I be correct in assuming I'd need to schlep up to Nottingham for a date with Matt Stripling to test the B3?
I would hope they would bring the B3 to you so you can have it for a longer test.

Jonnywishbone
ALP
ALP

Post by Jonnywishbone » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:15 pm

jolls wrote:
Jonnywishbone wrote:B3 seems to be the popular choice!

I would hope they would bring the B3 to you so you can have it for a longer test.
Excuse my ignorance but would they get the B3 down from Nottingham for that purpose? I did my D3 test drive last month despite not planning on putting the order in until the spring because they have a car already there and they told me once it was sold there would be no guarantee they'd have a test vehicle.

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 pm

I have seen a post on this forum where a car has been delivered to the prospective buyers house for a test drive. The post was recent as well so it may be possible, although I cannot remember if it was for a used car or not. There's only one way to find out for sure and that's to ask.

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:34 am

jolls wrote:I have seen a post on this forum where a car has been delivered to the prospective buyers house for a test drive. The post was recent as well so it may be possible, although I cannot remember if it was for a used car or not. There's only one way to find out for sure and that's to ask.
That was me :D , and yes it was used, even though I enjoyed the experience, nothing would persuade me to have a D3 over a B3.
Regarding having a test drive of a new B3, when I talked to Matt earlier in the month he said there were only 4 in the UK, so finding one to drive could be a bit tricky.
That's why I ended up with a B5 Bi Turbo :D