theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D3 Mono Turbos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA Buying Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoofty

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: D3 Mono Turbos Reply with quote

Hi all, first post here - referred from Pistonheads for some more detailed advice...

I've been eyeing up D3 MTs for quite a while now, as I think one would make a great daily driver foil to the weekend toy (E30 M3 - another rattly 4 pot). They seem to be around the 12k mark at present, which is about as far as I would like to stretch myself for a DD. I've heard some chide them for being a bit lightly specced, but I'm much more interested in the apparently superior ride/handling balance, and hope one would be a lot more engaging than the CD132 Mondeo I've been slumming it in for a few years.

I was under the impression that they were N47 based, with all the timing chain worries (substantiated or not) which that brings. However, threads like this one seem to confirm otherwise. That answer seems very definite, is this known to be true?

Are there any other things I should look out for with the M47 cars? Swirl flaps? Fuel pumps? DPF longevity? Are the wheels particularly susceptible to buckling?

Thanks in advance for any advice - and should you have a reasonably low mileage MT Touring for sale please let me know!

Cheers,
Nick
castor
AL
AL

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

I own a D3 MT, have done for about a year now. There is lots of advice on here about the various things to look out for but in essence it's a fairly safe bet as a second hand buy. The DPF has been known to cause a few problems for some on here but I've found that taking the car out for a decent run once a month seems to keep it running fine.

The wheels aren't know for buckling but they are really easy to curb so you'll be hard pushed to find one without some kind of damage. Lepsons did a great job of refurbishing mine... they are a labour of love to keep clean!

Spec wise they are fairly basic but as you say it makes up for it with the ride quality and handling. At the end of the day it's not going to be a track monster but it does seem to handle well when pushed a bit harder. Depends on your previous cars of course!

If you wanted a look round someone's based on location then I'm sure you'd get people offering, I'm near Cambridge
#117 Mystic Blue
MickB3
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you made it here Wink . Welcome
D3orbust
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned my MT for around 3 years and in all honesty I don't miss any of the 'toys' from a highly specced car. I upgraded the ICE and added a parrot system, that's all I need in honest.

I still get complimentary comments about the car from other road users, and an still looking back at the car after parking up.

The best car I've ever had.

D3MT number 284 (gone but will be sadly missed)
Hoofty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated. My referrer was correct in saying you're a friendly bunch!

I wouldn't expect it to be a track monster, but I would expect it to make a fair fist of things when the roads turn twisty. That's my gripe with the Mondeo - it's actually pretty refined and comfortable on long journeys, but the problem comes when you find yourself somewhere interesting, in a car which doesn't want to 'play'.

My commute is 20 miles each way on fast A roads - hopefully that's enough to get the engine up to temp and keep the DPF happy? If not, we are usually travelling further afield on weekends. I'm pretty disciplined about not doing short journeys too. I take it the symptoms include a warning light, engine going to limp home mode (followed by a large bill)?

I'd guess the wheels are prone to kerbing! Definitely worth a refurb to get them looking their best, they're a stunning set. Only recently found out about the hidden valve cap - brilliant.

I'd love to have a look around some members' cars - Cambridge is a bit of a jaunt from here (though thanks very much for the offer); if there are any kindly locals to the Northants/Warwickshire border area please get in touch.

There's a black Touring on Pistonheads currently - don't suppose it's known to the forum is it? I'd be in there like a shot, although it's a touch leggier than I'd like (~85k).

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> ALPINA Buying Advice All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: