No space in a Mini

A place for us to discuss the cars we are currently testing before the road test comes out !

Moderator: neil

Hodge
ALPINA
ALPINA

No space in a Mini

Post by Hodge » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Just been using a Mini Clubman CooperD all very nice, torquey engine, plenty of power, Chili Pack,but Where is the space, it's not much shorter than my Allroad, but still has the smallest boot in the world and the rear seats still cramped. That said still very nice

Cheers

Hodge
Mark Hodge

E46 B3s Coupe #19 (sold)
E46 B3s Touring #29 (sold)
Daily -
TTS DSG (Not for carrying dogs)
X5 M50d (For carrying dogs)
VW R32 MkIV (weekends)

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:26 pm

You sure about the length compared to your Audi? Our D3BT makes our Mini look like a toy length-wise when parked side-by-side in the garage :lol: In our opinion, they're not bought for their carrying capabilities, but the hatch and folding seats easily beats our saloon 3er when necessary. Last Xmas, the Mini moved us, luggage, presents, food and extra paraphenalia to the outlaws on a 400mile round trip to deepest, darkest Devon during that god-awful weather with space and traction to spare. Wouldn't try it with 4 adults and accompanying luggage, though :shock:

Got to agree with you on the diesel lump, though - very impressive, and definitely the replacement for ours when the time comes (unless something else really catches our eye :wink: )
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

Hodge
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Hodge » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:37 pm

You're right about the length and my Audi I may have been exaggerating, but parked next to a Focus it is the same length and that does have a boot. But yes the engine and handling do seem a sublime mix, it doesn't feel like it needs any more power so the newer SD must seem quite ridiculous :lol:

Cheers

Hodge
Mark Hodge

E46 B3s Coupe #19 (sold)
E46 B3s Touring #29 (sold)
Daily -
TTS DSG (Not for carrying dogs)
X5 M50d (For carrying dogs)
VW R32 MkIV (weekends)

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Hodge wrote:You're right about the length and my Audi I may have been exaggerating, but parked next to a Focus it is the same length and that does have a boot. But yes the engine and handling do seem a sublime mix, it doesn't feel like it needs any more power so the newer SD must seem quite ridiculous :lol:
The newer Minis look bigger than they actually are. We had one overnight on loan so it was parked next to ours in the garage. They're fatter, but no longer. really :lol:

The SD looks the dogs wotsits, but it's 'only' the low-tune version of the engine (143bhp, I think), but with hardly any mass to haul. We thought about that, too, but after driving the standard Cooper 1.6D we couldn't really see the point as all we need is a squirty little thing to get past tractors, caravans and the like and achieve 60mph where permitted for Liz's daily commute (and the odd longer journey if we get seriously bad weather at Xmas again!) - the BT does everything else we need. The standard diesel ONE version is pretty poky too for its output...came as a real surprise as it's much more progressive on power than the 1.6 petrol, and has oodles of torque.
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

mac
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by mac » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Sorry guy's but that is a FUGLY car!!

Along with the 4x4 version!

I would never ever consider it!

Diesel, petrol or any Hybrid power Mini want to put in it.

IMHO.

Mac.