Values rising or over inflated speculation?

The place to discuss ALPINAs currently for sale - discussing ALPINAs other than your own.
Aladoro69

Values rising or over inflated speculation?

Post by Aladoro69 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:57 am

Recently there was a grey F31 on eBay for £27k which sold to a dealer who then advertised it for 10k
Just spotted an XD3 for £32k https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... ql&fromsra

This struggled to sell in a dealer for 10k less and was advertised up to about 6 months ago. The main pic is actually from the original dealer ad
The car is the original press car that everybody tested

So as per the title are people hyping prices up?
Surprisingly despite posts on here saying asking price is too misty of these seem to be selling

Jonnywishbone
ALP
ALP

Re: Values rising or over inflated speculation?

Post by Jonnywishbone » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:48 am

I’m no expert, but my impression is it’s been like this for as long as I’ve been vaguely following the market (circa 10 years).

I guess it’s a combination of a few things. These are hard to price due to scarcity. Sellers may tend to dream a bit because whilst they know they have something a little special, 99% of the car buying market don’t. Also whilst the market is small, as this forum and the FB groups show, individuals looking to buy are often quite particular about what they want and as a seller there’s always the possibility you get lucky and stumble into a buyer willing to pay a premium for a car in a particular spec, another example of which may not come on the market again for months or even years.

Then there is actual inflation. I bought mine from factory two years ago and if I plug my spec into the configurator it’d cost me 15% more today, for a cosmetic tweak and a few % points more horsepower. I would (perhaps wrongly) expect this to be reflected in used prices of my particular model and potentially also filter down the B3 lineage.
Sal

2021 G21 B3 #115