SAT Nav CD & DVD Map Discs For Sale - Also latest versio

For Sale section - not Cars - please add them to the register. This is for parts

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

D4
Administrator
Administrator

SAT Nav CD & DVD Map Discs For Sale - Also latest versio

Post by D4 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:24 am

Ok I've got 'backup' copies of both disc types CD & DVD for sale:

CD Rom GB & Ireland for your Mk2 and Mk3 systems
these are 2006-1 but do not include TMC or Postcode
(if you want TMC or Postcode I've got 2004-5 discs)

or

DVD Europe High for the Mk4 systems
these are the latest 2006-1 and include TMC & Postcode searching

For all DVD discs purchased I will also supply the Firmware OS V27 with full installation instructions. This is the latest operating software released last week which will allow you to view the maps in perspective view as well as pointing north or direction of travel (this software will not work on the CD rom drives hence why there's no point sneding you the OS is you are having the CD map)

either CD or DVD £15 each.
Paypal preffered (PM me for details)

All discs are professionally printed and come in a protective hard case and will be depatched within 1 working day of receipt of payment.
2011 BMW 520d M Sport Saloon
2008 BMW 120i M Sport 5 Door

Previous ALPINAs
1984 E28 B9 3.5
1989 E32 B11 3.5
2000 E39 B10 V8 Touring
2005 E85 Roadster S #344

Twitter: d4bmw (follow me for all the latest ALPINA updates and other car related guff)

D4
Administrator
Administrator

Post by D4 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:07 am

I now also have these 2006-1 DVD map discs with the speed camera locations for Europe included on to it.

These are teh genuine BMW map discs for the Mk4 player which have had additional software written for them so that the camera database can also be viewed.

£20 per disc

Previous ALPINAs
1984 E28 B9 3.5
1989 E32 B11 3.5
2000 E39 B10 V8 Touring
2005 E85 Roadster S #344

Twitter: d4bmw (follow me for all the latest ALPINA updates and other car related guff)

iant
AL
AL

Post by iant » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:05 pm

Hi
Im sure my disc is 2006 but does not give the speed camera locations. Is there 2??

D4
Administrator
Administrator

Post by D4 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:17 am

the speed cameras is a hack that can be done to the disc... the database is the TOM TOM one.. which is then written onto the bmw disc and therefore not available from the dealers...

Previous ALPINAs
1984 E28 B9 3.5
1989 E32 B11 3.5
2000 E39 B10 V8 Touring
2005 E85 Roadster S #344

iant
AL
AL

Post by iant » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:11 pm

How does it warn you of speed camera's? Is it via a symbol on the screen of if using the sat nav is there an audiable warning??
Having picked up three points this week i am keen to be as prepared as possible, has any one tried any of the laser detectors??

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Can't comment on how the speed cameras are identified to you - I'll leave that for D4

As for detectors - these are about as much use as a fart in a thunderstorm. The reason being that by the time they register a laser signal, the laser gun will have bounced back to the policeman holding it and registered your speed.

This is simple physics based on the speed of light.

As it stands, impending law changes mean that you are allowed systems in your car that identify camera locations via GPS, but additional detection systems are to be outlawed. It's a grey area because they were originally illegal under the Telegraphy Act but this was challenged when someone pointed out that the detectors are not transmitting and so they became legal. Now they are to be outlawed again.

The new change is very curious but of course it has nothing to do with wanting to raise more money for the Treasury :evil:

There is another option, which is again a grey area, and that is laser jamming equipment. The police have previously stated that these are illegal under the Telegraphy Act, but the way these units operate is to send out a "spray" of light the moment they detect a particular wavelength of light (i.e. a police laser gun) hitting the sensor. This spray then confuses the laser signal and there is no bounce back to the gun and no registered speed.

Given that the Telegraphy Act covers the transmission of radio signals, the argument goes that you cannot make the transmission of light illegal! As such, the police are now trying to make a case that these jamming units are perverting the course of justice (or somesuch) because these units prevent the police from undertaking their duties. This is similar to the chap who was recently "done" because he flashed his lights at oncoming traffic to warn them of a speed trap around the corner.

Again this of course has nothing to with the Treasury trying to fill their coffers :evil: :evil:

Interesetingly, I am unaware of any criminal action being taken against a driver with a jamming unit onboard. The police have to prove that the unit was switched on and active when they tried to target the car. Given that there are several reasons why a laser gun may not function, then there is no way they can prove this - particularly if the driver has been sensible enough to wire the unit with a discrete on/off switch. UPDATE - see here http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/jamlaw.htm

So you takes your choice:

* Static cameras can be legally "identified" by GPS systems (Road Angel, Snooper etc) so ensure you have such a system - either separate to or integrated into your SatNav system

* Laser/Radar Detectors - either linked to your GPS based locator or separately installed - are soon to be made illegal (again) so you shouldn't have one of these fitted

* Laser Jammers are a grey area legally but there has not been a case to provide precedent for this and these are the only electronic form of defence against laser guns

* Finally - and I don't wish to sound patronising at all - but keeping your eyes peeled and driving according to the conditions is the surest way to avoid a fine. Look for obvious hiding places for mobile patrols (straight stretches on fast roads just after bends for example) particularly on roads you are less familiar with.

I hope that this is helpful but see here http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/index.htm for more information

C
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

iant
AL
AL

Post by iant » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:07 pm

Thanks for the comments Charles, it was that website i had seen the radar detector on http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/cheetahsent.htm . Maybe i am just reacting to getting three points, i agree that keeping your eyes peeled is good advice but it doesnt always work. I came around a corner on a road i didnt know and saw the police in the distance, hit the brakes of course but it was all to late. I was clocked doing 43 in a 30. Speaking to locals (i was on holiday for a few days in the cotswolds) the road used to be a 50 and two of the hotel staff had been caught also in the past few months.

harvard468
A
A

Post by harvard468 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:39 pm

Interested in latest disc available which will work in my B10V8S - no 45 mid 2002 manufacture. What do you recommend?
Thanks
Stephen B
E39 Alpina Blue B10V8S 45/187
BMW Z1 - urgrun/gelb
E39 M5 - had to go for Alpina
E38 740i - sold for M5
E46 330Cd M-Sport

hythe
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by hythe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks to our dear friend Heuer, I have the late-2005 disk with the speed camera locations in my B5 - works a treat - not very hi-tech, though - it just plonks a camera icon on the map where a potential location is - doesn't work through the HUD, sadly! It's basically another form of POI, which is how you select it.
2016 D3 #296
2012 Range Rover

Former:
2005 B5 Touring #007
1996 B8 4.6 Touring #014
2011 1M Coupe