E60 B5 S - off throttle noise

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Adam AJP

E60 B5 S - off throttle noise

Post by Adam AJP » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Dear all,

I’ve noticed a noise coming from my 2008 B5 S when I lift off the throttle. I believe it has always done this to some extent in the 4 years of my ownership but wanted to check that this is the noise others with this engine experience as it is quite loud. I believe it is from the supercharger’s secondary throttle body “chuntering away”, (kind of a fluttering sound) as it regulates the air under vacuum to the supercharger. I am aware there are some weak points in this item - namely the plastic cogs/gears.

I have posted a video demonstrating this to you tube which can be found here... https://youtu.be/XNyhGPVUtbw

The car drives wonderfully and it may be perfectly normal but I would like to check others’ experience here. The car has done ~114k miles with care taken over correct filters etc and the recommended Alpina service schedule/checks in my ownership since ~90k miles. It had a new supercharger early on at quite a low mileage.

Is this normal operation? Any comments gratefully received.

With thanks

Adam
B5 S saloon - TVR Cerbera 4.7 - Freelander 2 (for the misses/winter)

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: E60 B5 S - off throttle noise

Post by PhillV8S » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 pm

I have a B6s with similar mileage with a younger supercharger and it doesn’t sound like that. Have you checked for free movement of the valve in front of the supercharger or for fault codes recorded? Also what is the centrifugal clutch pad depths like on the supercharger, probably not this bur worth checking.HTH.
E39 B10 V8S #037 Saloon SOLD
Range Rover TDV8
Subaru Outback 3.0
E64 B6s Cabriolet #100

Adam AJP

Post by Adam AJP » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Thank you Phil - greatly appreciated!

The garage are just confirming r.e. any codes whilst the car is in for the (lower than specced) service interval. Clutch pack is fine and happily no oil in intercooler (always get this checked for piece of mind!).

Has anyone else had a similar experience/noise?

Also noticed recently that upon unlocking the car there is a loud click from the region of this supercharger throttle body. This is a recent development i’m certain.

Will feed back if any obvious codes are thrown.

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:53 pm

I always hear my throttle body opening and shutting (after the car goes to sleep).
E39 B10 V8S #037 Saloon SOLD
Range Rover TDV8
Subaru Outback 3.0
E64 B6s Cabriolet #100

Adam AJP

Post by Adam AJP » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi Phil,

The “sleep/awake” click was always there (a nice reminder of the sledgehammer under the bonnet I find ;). ). It has taken on a louder noise (clunk rather than click) recently however.

The car is so accomplished and I mean to ensure it remains in fine fettle so appreciate the feedback on this forum. We are a small group that have to be experts after all (although the local BMW dealership have been good listeners).