Brake squeal

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

fe18occ

Brake squeal

Post by fe18occ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 am

Hi Guys, I'm after a little bit of advice and the benefit of your collective experience. I recently brought a 2018 B5 (from Sytner Nottingham) and the day after it arrived the brakes began to squeal horrendously. This was not the way I wanted the car to turn heads, but it did the noise was so loud. It happened at low speed under gentle braking - so mainly when the car was coming to a halt in traffic. It took a while to get it into the local BMW dealer but when they looked at it they found the rear pads were disintegrating. They replaced them, originally under warranty but apparently BMW later rejected that so Sytner were billed for them and to give them their due they paid it without a murmur - I only found out about it in a later conversation with my sales guy there.
I have done a few hundred miles in the car since the pads were replaced and I have noticed the squeal return a few times - no-where near as bad, but still worryingly there. I am mostly very sparing with the brakes, so apart from a couple of hard braking moments to try to de-glaze them they have not much had much heavy use with me. The car was formerly a press car so I suspect they life in the past year has been a little harder in case that has a bearing on the issue.
One other twist, two of the wheels are buckled - that is being sorted out this week so I will wait until that is done before approaching BMW again about the squeal, but I was wondering if any of you guys had experience of this or any ideas of possible causes?

Norrie
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Brake squeal

Post by Norrie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:48 pm

You purchased a used approved BMW ALPINA from Sytner. Firstly my question to them is why was the 147 (of whatever the figure is) point check not carried out out, worn brake pads and buckled wheels. Totally unacceptable. Have you checked to see if there is any damage or scoring to the discs? I had a similar noise issue but replaced the discs and pads. There sometimes is squeaking at very low speed like going down a ramp, but not excessive. I would tell them you want the car checked again properly free of charge and that any issues need to be rectified. The warranty would not cover pads or discs that is why the dealer had to accept the costs.

I had an situation with a BMW main dealer (not sytner) , a MOT claimed rear spring were corroded and although the car passed it was advisory. 6 months later I put the car in for a check same dealer, they sent me a clean bill of health and a video saying all good. No mention of springs. I have had it MOT'd twice since, no mention.

You will have to push these people, but make your presence known, you paid for it to be right in the first place.
E65 B7 4.4 V8 supercharged No 106 (1 of 7 in UK) - purely for pleasure
E 39 523i for winter and track day - leave it anywhere
E92 325i - written off by X5 I was not driving!
E92 335D Twin Turbo - sold to Sytner Alpina
E 60 - 525D new - sold to Cooper BMW
E 60 - 530D new - sold at auction
E 39 - 520i new - sold at auction
E 30 - 316i new Touring - sold at auction

fe18occ

Re: Brake squeal

Post by fe18occ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Thanks Norrie - I have already told them I have very little trust in the work their workshop carried out as I think they should have picked up on the pads as well - plus I had already advised them from the test drive that there was vibration at certain speeds which as far as I know is down to the buckled wheels. I know there has been some internal 'conversations' in Nottingham between sales and workshop about this and my sales guy is suitably embarassed by it all but yes, I need to follow up on that once all the obvious issues have been addressed. They are swapping the wheels over tomorrow so will see how it is after that has been done, if the disks are an issue afterwards I will be having that conversation with them - the garage that did the pads did say the disks were ok but they may have been talking about general condition rather than a specific issue