Cabrio roof - where are the microswitches?!

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Raj

Cabrio roof - where are the microswitches?!

Post by Raj » Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 pm

Hey all,

The roof on my B3 E46 has has a problem with the roof for a while. Now it's summer I really want to get it fixed. I've tried finding these microswitches myself but just cannot find them.

Does anyone know where they are and could possibly post pictures of where to find them and which to replace for the roof.

The roof button keeps flashing red and nothing moves, no windows, no clicking, no noise from the motor. I've moved the boot compartment storage thing up and down, I've used manual open and close, checked if anything is in the way etc. The motor appears be fine (the one under the rear seats).

I've had a quote of £250 to "fix" it but given they don't know what the issue is exactly, the diagnostic costs £70 and then £70 per hour and they can't promise how long it will take...

Any help appreciated. I'm in central Birmingham. I posted about this before and someone did recommend a place in Lincoln, but trying to avoid that as fuel to and from Lincoln will cost and extra £40!

Thanks

DogWagen
A
A

Re: Cabrio roof - where are the microswitches?!

Post by DogWagen » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi Raj,

If you want to learn a bit more about how the soft-top works, have a look at this link: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e46- ... functions/. Reading the description, it doesn't mention micro-switches - only hall sensors which work on proximity to metal. NewTIS also has the wiring diagrams and a pile of other useful information.

Have you had a look for any fault codes using an ODB2 scanner? The control module logs codes and may help your diagnosis. I bought a BMW-specific C110 scanner for £30-odd off Amazon and it's proven to be a good investment (cheaper than £70 for diagnosis!)

FWIW, I recommended Woods Motors (between Newark and Sleaford on the A17) to another B3s cab owner for a hood problem (resolved successfully) - appreciate that it's a hike for you but I am confident that Dan & team would be able to help at a sensible price.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Raj

Re: Cabrio roof - where are the microswitches?!

Post by Raj » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:40 pm

That's great help thanks. I'll read up on it and see what it recommends.

It seems everyone worth going to for Alpinas is in Lincolnshire! My brother lives up there so if all else fails I'll book in with them and go visit the family.

I bought a generic ODBII from Amazon but it gives nothing at all for the Alpina. I didn't realise that there was a specific module for BMW, I'll check it out. Thank you