B10 Vs M5 M3

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

minted_aye

B10 Vs M5 M3

Post by minted_aye » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:14 pm

I have just got back into the Alpina area again this is my 3rd, had a run of cars E46 M3, E39 M5, B3 3.3 Coupe and Also Saloon, XJR , XKR, XK8 Jags, Impretas WRX, and Nissan Skyline R33 GTR Vspec the list goes on

Basically on paper the Alpina is a slower car than the M5 E39 but having driven and owned both I have to disagree mine is a joy to drive and quicker, and apparantly is one of the last 50 that also had the new revised interior, widscreen sat nav etc, and voice recognition very high spec car also sitting on 19" Alpina Alloys, basically what I am asking is anyone with a B10 V8 agree with my assumptions.

Because I pulled away from an E46 M3 the other day on a "clear motorway" the the guy was sitting extremley close to my bumper and it looked like he had stopped when I put my foot down, any ideas?

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Re: B10 Vs M5 M3

Post by neil » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:34 am

minted_aye wrote: Because I pulled away from an E46 M3 the other day on a "clear motorway" the the guy was sitting extremley close to my bumper and it looked like he had stopped when I put my foot down, any ideas?
What sort of speeds were you doing - the higher the more advantage you'd have.

As for B10 V8 vs. M5 my perception (not tested with equipment - although we almost did this last year). Is that there is very little to call between them. Given the advantage of switchtronic too (based on a normal driver's gear change) then I guess they'd be even less between them.

On the M5 vs. M3 front I'd expect the M5 to be out acclerating the M3 as it gets nearer 100mph perhaps from as little as 80mph.

Sound like I'm doing a maths formula :)

if M5 = B10 and M5 > M3 then B10 > M3 !

My own observation in my M5 was I was always a little concerned about the clutch which always hindered my progress more than it would in other cars. With the B10 V8 you don't have that issue.

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:36 am

Also Welcome Minted_aye !

Sounds like you've had a fun garage over the last few years !