Semi-auto gearbox

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Cybermush
ALPI
ALPI

Semi-auto gearbox

Post by Cybermush » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:31 am

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for a great website - very useful!

I'm thinking of treating myself to an Alpina and found this to be a great source of information.

I hope you can help me with some questions on the semi-auto gearbox on the B3 and B3S. I'm assuming they never made one with a manual? I've always had manual cars, and I'm a bit worried I won't like the flappy paddles!

What it actually like to drive? Sorry to ask a dumb question but how does it work, I guess you put it in drive and use the paddles up and down. Is it still possible to coast in neutral? I know it's not good practice but there are some big hills round here and I save a fortune on fuel using gravity!

Again, sorry for the dumb questions, but I want to sound a little clued up before a test drive so as not to look (too) stupid! :lol:

Thanks a lot!

Trevor.

Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:03 am

Hi Trevor,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, B3 and B3S ALPINA's in RHD form only come with the switchtronic gearbox - LHD versions have a manual option.

This provides the driver with either full automatic mode (which you can select Neutral as you can with any other auto box and coast) or Switchtronic mode which, unlike the BMW version, allows the driver to select and hold the gear of their choice - unless you hit the rev limit when the computer protects the box by changing up, or if your speed drops below the stalling point when the computer changes down to prevent embarrassment.

In Switchtronic, the driver can either change gear by moving the gear lever forward/back or make use of the gear change buttons (not flappy paddles) located on the rear of the steering wheel. These are sensibly located at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions on the wheel.

As for driving experience, there is only one word I can really use - MAGNIFICENT. The engine/gearbox combination is perfectly engineered to give you massive torque low down and peak power on each gear change. I rarely use the Switchtronic mode - unless I am in playful mode - because the auto box performance leaves virtually nothing to be desired.

The only real way to find out though is to take a test drive and within moments you will understand what makes ALPINAs so special. It's not just the performance but also the road handling and general dynamic characteristics that set the cars apart from normal BMW's.

Hope this helps

C
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

GrahamP
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Semi-auto gearbox

Post by GrahamP » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:38 am

Cybermush wrote:Hi All,
Is it still possible to coast in neutral? I know it's not good practice but there are some big hills round here and I save a fortune on fuel using gravity!
Hi, Trevor. Welcome.

According to this http://forum.bmwcarmagazine.com/viewtop ... ht=neutral putting the E39 steptronic gearbox in neutral disconnects the gearbox oil pump and is not recommended. I don't know if the same applies to the B3 and B3S but you may want to bear that in mind.

Slamby
ALP
ALP

Post by Slamby » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:40 pm

I would also imagine that putting it into neutral would use more fuel than letting it coast in gear.

harvard468
A
A

Post by harvard468 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:22 pm

Yes - this must be true because if you coast down hill in gear the injectors stop injecting fuel; in neutral the engine is having to inject fuel to tick over. In reality can't be much difference tho' - but I can believe that it is not good for the autobox to coast in neutral.
Stephen B
E39 Alpina Blue B10V8S 45/187
BMW Z1 - urgrun/gelb
E39 M5 - had to go for Alpina
E38 740i - sold for M5
E46 330Cd M-Sport

Cybermush
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Cybermush » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:34 pm

Thanks guys, I guess if I get one it will be no more coasting for me!! :(

Just been down to Sheffield dealer today, not too impressed, they have offered me a great B3 which is the perfect spec, however it's in London and the salesman wants £1000 deposit to get it to me for a test drive :o

"It's fully refundable if you don't buy it" he re-assures me. Yeah right, like you'll give me my money back if I don't like the gearbox!!

I'm just letting him sweat for a while I try and find one a little closer.

Just out of interest, what's the difference to the normal auto 'box on say the 330Ci??

Trevor

martin b3
A
A

Post by martin b3 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:21 pm

Hi i live in Haworth if you want to try a E46 B3 3.3 without any sales pressure give me a shout.
ALPINA B3 The thinking man's M3

Robertb
ALP
ALP

Post by Robertb » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:38 pm

Welcome!

The key here is that the switchtronic box is an auto box with a torque converter, with the added attraction of buttons behind the wheel to select gears yourself when you fancy it. This is opposed to a sequential manual box with a hydraulic clutch e.g. M3's SMG system, or Ferrari's 'F1' box.

It does take a moment for the torque converter to lock up, so you do get a bit of torque converter 'sog'... like you, I love the direct feel of a manual and I find this aspect disconcerting occasionally. All in all though it is a great system, with the buttons behind the wheel giving some extra flexibility to hold the car in a gear, even under full accleration (allowing you to exploit the torque of the engine, rather than it kicking down to a lower gear all the time). There is no sport mode per se, and the auto mode seems keen to change up and use the torque- if you want the car to feel really pointy and responsive, use the manual mode.

The feel is very much of a relaxed GT most of the time, but you can rev the nuts off it and enjoy the fabulous noise and performance if the mood takes. It suits the car very well indeed.

Don't worry about the neutral thing- the instant mpg gauge on my B3S shows it consumes virtually no fuel when you are on over-run. To be fair though, if fuel consumption is a big consideration, you're better off looking at an Alpina D3! Expect 26-28mpg touring, maybe even 30+ on a run, which ain't bad for 300+bhp...

As Charles says, they are great cars, and it is the other qualities too that set them apart from BMWs- the ride/handling set up has been the real revelation for me.

Have a drive- you'll love it!

davespeed3
A
A

Post by davespeed3 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:23 am

I find the Alpina Switchtronic is excellent, in Auto its more 'focused' than the standard BMW auto box, which has a good reputation on its own. You can leave it in auto and the car will give a good account of its self in all normal driving situations, but the switchtronic 'sport' mode is really good fun! but also very useful and not just a gimmick.
The buttons are ideally located for fingertip use while you remain in total control of the car. The system prevents you from over revving the engine and damaging it, however you still need to learn to match the engine speed and the gears to get the best out of it. Once the road gets twisty you can select 'sport' so that as you approach bends you can change down and you will get engine braking, also allowing you to negotiate the bend in a gear that will maintain great stability. You can change gear mid-bend no drama and also select a gear to ensure your exit from the bend is smooth, which will help you 'get away' quickly without having kickdown and then wait for something to happen.
If you really want to 'nail it' in sport mode then leave the buttons alone and the car will change up as it reaches the limiter or conversely if you can't be bothered to change down, say on a long approach to a junction, when you stop the car will select 2nd gear allowing you a smooth pull away.
I prefer the Switchtronic box to both the manual and the auto, I find it more flexible, usable and fun

harvard468
A
A

Post by harvard468 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:44 pm

I think you will find that the Switchtronic box does not have a Sport mode. This is deactivated by the Alpina reprogramming of the Autobox software. Moving the lever into M/S gives the M setting from which you can operate the Switchtronic buttons.
Similarly the Adaptive Gearchange Learning facility of the host vehicle is also deactivated by Alpina.
Stephen B
E39 Alpina Blue B10V8S 45/187
BMW Z1 - urgrun/gelb
E39 M5 - had to go for Alpina
E38 740i - sold for M5
E46 330Cd M-Sport