Place to talk about Fast cars in general

Moderator: neil

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

iDrive 6 & Connected Drive add on

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:16 pm

Might have mentioned this before.
Finally got around to replacing my mobile phone this week (old faithful used valves and morse code) so consequently needed to reinstall a load of apps. One of them was AAIdrive. Its free, BMW specific and “bolts onto” BMW Connected drive via Bluetooth.

Although a bit rough round the edges display wise, you can extract some interesting info and have it on the cars screen in real time.
Brunhilda just missed out on Id7. She has the older style round dials and tiles which I actually prefer. Her installed version is NBTevo_id5.
Whilst Id7 provides a lot of useful extra stuff together with far superior voice recognition & navigation it is mixed in with some trendy graphics - of which I’m not a fan.

The AAIdrive app goes some way to addressing the functionality deficit.
Of particular interest for me are engine temperature, oil temperature, throttle opening %, g force and torque.

I’m unsure how torque is derived, presumably it’s calculated from the ECU mapping. I’d guess the data is actually used somewhere (transmission perhaps?) as the software to do this wasn’t written for fun. I suspect the app is taking raw data from the cars sensors and converting it to show whatever. I say this because the speed displayed is 2 mph less than the cars speedo. i.e. totally accurate. Incidentally the app suggests Brunhilda chucks out an indicated 890nm under full load pulling 1.1g during peak acceleration! The sport display shows a max of 810/820nm.

If you know what you’re doing - and I don't - there’s various kits, scripts and code for the app you can download from the developer or GitHub. If I’ve understood correctly these can be used to create custom data displays or even dials along the lines of the inbuilt sport displays.
I’ll be talking to my nephew about this, he’s a software developer for mobile Comms apps so he’ll be able to enlighten his dinosaur uncle.

The app is compatible with cars going way back when, which might interest a few people who want online music, google search, maps etc on older systems.

Some screenshots below.
Attachments
My Vehicle Tile.jpg
My Vehicle Tile.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 441 times
App Options.jpg
App Options.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 441 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 441 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 441 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 441 times
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: iDrive 6 & Connected Drive add on

Post by B10BRW » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:53 am

Which phone operating system are you using

Looked for the app on my iPhone, tried AAldrive, AALdrive and AA1drive non could be found :(

Maybe my phones too old 7 plus.

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:24 am

It's an Android only app unfortunately.
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

Post by 440 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:28 am

I use the app to share screen from my phone to the iDrive screen when I use Waze. The app also integrates with music apps showing album cover.